Open PDF-XChange with Typewriter

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

RufusRed
User

Post by RufusRed »

Hello,

is it possible that the command for the typewriter is activated immediately when opening PDFXChange? :D

Greetings

Markus
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Open PDF-XChange with Typewriter

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello RufusRed,

I am afraid that we do not offer an option to set the Typewriter tool to be your default tool when you open a document.

You can set up the Editor to remember the last used tool (between the Hand and Select Text tools) and start the next session with it selected. Other tools are not available to become your default tool when you start the Editor.

You can find these option from File -> Preferences -> Tools
image.png
Regards,
Radi
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Is there any possibility to automatically run some JavaScript code immediately upon launching PDF-XChange Editor? If so, the desired behaviour could be accomplished in that way.
—DIV
RufusRed
User

Post by RufusRed »

Radi - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:02 pm You can set up the Editor to remember the last used tool (between the Hand and Select Text tools)
Hi Radi,
yes, I saw that option, thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that doesn't get me any further in this case.
DIV wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:25 am Is there any possibility to automatically run some JavaScript code immediately upon launching PDF-XChange Editor? If so, the desired behaviour could be accomplished in that way.
That would be a possibility if something like that would work @Support ?
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello DIV, RufusRed,
DIV wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:25 am Is there any possibility to automatically run some JavaScript code immediately upon launching PDF-XChange Editor? If so, the desired behaviour could be accomplished in that way.
—DIV
I am afraid that this is not possible. The Editor cannot run JavaScript on start up.

Regards,
Radi
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Radi - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:42 pm The Editor cannot run JavaScript on start up.
Thanks for confirming this, Radi.

I guess there could be a few reasons behind that, but security come to mind as one possible concern.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion to explore any other potential alternatives.

—DIV
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
RMan
User

Post by RMan »

I would vote for this feature for sure! Many times we have clients who's main job might be to Highlight Text or to to Edit Content so they seldom want the Hand or SelectText tool to start with.

One easier solution I can think of would be to add an option for "Last Active Tool" as the Default Tool Preferences. There should be minor code changes on Tracker's end "I think". I would look at adding a tool.lastActive tool value in and then a "Last Active Tool" into the preferences drop down. Since you already store the t.LastActive in the settings if the t.Default is set to tool.lastActive then you use the t.LastActive value.

If you are familiar with the Windows Registry and creating a .reg files to import you should be able to use the following lines to set the default tool to the typeWriter. This should work until you access the Tools Pane of the Preferences Dialog I think at which time you would have to import the .reg file again.

Use at your own risk. I always hate suggesting to my own clients to work in the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Tools]
"t.Default"="tool.annot.typeWriter"
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, RMan

I cannot promise it will be implemented, but I have created a formal feature request for this topic:
#5934: FR: Allow common commenting/editing tool to be set as default

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com