<Alt+Left> and <Alt+Right> shortcut keys

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

This post is not an issue report, and I know how to solve it on a personal level. I would like to make a suggestion in terms of what the default settings should be for most people.

The <Alt+Left> and <Alt+Right> shortcut keys are assigned to two functions by default.

• <Alt+Left>
    (A) Navigate Backward.
    (B) Promote the selected bookmark(s).
  • <Alt+Right>
    (A) Navigate Forward.
    (B) Demote the selected bookmarks.
The function of the shortcut key changes depending on whether the Bookmarks Pane is in focus, but in order to use the functions (A) and (B) correctly, it is necessary to always be aware of where the focus is. (A) is a frequently used basic and important shortcut key, while (B) is rarely used by most people. Therefore, after moving the page by bookmark, you may unintentionally change the bookmark level by using the shortcut key to return to the original page while keeping the focus on the Bookmarks Pane.

Of course, if you are familiar with the settings of PDF-XChange Editor, you can easily change the assignment so that the shortcut keys of (A) and (B) do not overlap. However, it would be better to make the default settings non-overlapping for most people. Even if the shortcut keys assigned for (B) are changed or disabled by default, if users are expert enough to change the level of bookmarks with shortcut keys, they should be able to change the settings easily.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Best Regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version:9.2 build 359.0
- OS Version: Windows 10 Home 21H2 Build 19044.1466
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: <Alt+Left> and <Alt+Right> shortcut keys

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Rakuvani,

thanks for the post. Context is everything!

It would be very hard to set unique and intuitive defaults for the myriad of features we have without things being context sensitive.

Your feedback is appreciated, we always are striving to make the software better. I'll pass on your suggestions to the team, no promises however on this necessarily changing however.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comment!

The challenge will be how to make users aware of the shortcut keys for functions that are not registered in the toolbar as default. I assign the Navigate Backward and Forward functions to the side buttons of the mouse, so I use them so often that I am not even aware that I am using shortcut keys. After experiencing unintended bookmark changes, I finally learned that there are shortcut keys assigned to bookmark level changes. :lol:

It's a luxury worry that arises because PDF-XChange Editor is a great editor and viewer.

Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best Regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I like 'em as they are.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PHK,

Thanks for adding your voice.
I also am happy with those as they are, but we do listen to all feedback - so Paul has passed rakunavi's comments to our devs and those would be reviewed - even if the decision after that is to leave these defaults as they are.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:08 pm ...
I also am happy with those as they are, but we do listen to all feedback - so Paul has passed rakunavi's comments to our devs and those would be reviewed - even if the decision after that is to leave these defaults as they are.

Kind regards,
Stefan
I can appreciate the difficulty of dimensioning your user base practices but also appreciate the exceptional receptivity of the Tracker Software team in trying to keep up with our user needs. Keep up the good work!
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com