PDF forms are saved wrong in Google Chrome

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

LeonRenner
User

PDF forms are saved wrong in Google Chrome

Post by LeonRenner »

Hello guys,

I noticed a weird behaviour of PDF forms created with the XChange Editor. When I create a fillable text field with name Text1 and use the field copy function, the software will create the additional fields and name them Text1.1, Text1.2, etc.
Now when I open that document in Google Chrome, insert content in there, save it and open it up again, then the content in these fields is all the same. So, while entering the content, it is not the same, but when saving it and opening it up, it is all showing the same.
I know, that Google Chrome is not a perfect PDF reading tool, but this got me wondering if it is an error of Google Chrome or of the PDF XChange Editor.
So, I opened the form that I created in Adobe Acrobat Reader and did the same task. And this time, when opening the file up again, everything looked good. Therefore, I thought it is an error in Chrome.
To be absolutely sure, I did another check. I opened my PDF Form in Adobe Acrobat DC and changed the text field names from Text1.1, Text 1.2, etc. to Text1, Text2, Text3. Then I saved the document and the whole test again in Google Chrome. And to my surprise, this time the data was saved correctly, when filling out the PDF in Chrome.
Then I thought, that it might be only due to the different naming that I used for the text boxes. So, I created a new document in PDF XChange Editor, implemented a text field, copied the text field and changed the field names from Text1.1, Text 1.2, etc. to Text1, Text2, Text3 inside PDF XChange Editor. But with this, the error again occured.

So, in conclusion, it seems that the multiple copy function in PDF XChange Editor creates new fields with some sort of properties that cannot be properly used by Google Chrome but they can be properly used by Adobe Acrobat Reader. Does someone know what is going on here and how we can solve that? I'm creating form very often and most of the time it is convenient to use the multiple copies function.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF forms are saved wrong in Google Chrome

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello LeonRenner,

We've answered your enquiry through e-mail, so lets continue the discussion there.

Regards,
Dimitar