Highlight (Color) Combinations and Blend Modes  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Toygun
User

Highlight (Color) Combinations and Blend Modes

Post by Toygun »

Hello,

Is there a possible "red background + yellow letters" or "purple bacground + yellow letters", etc.? I have many color combinations. But I couldn't find a blend mode that provides these combinations.

Also, could new "blend modes" be added in the future?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Highlight (Color) Combinations and Blend Modes

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Toygun,

When you use the highlight tool - you can specify only one colour for the tool itself.
Then you can select the blending mode (the way in which it will interact with the text you are highlighting), and based on the original colour of the text - the result will be different, but you can not force the desired text colour from the settings of the highlight tool.

Or do you want to have such colours of text and background of your page while reading? You can achieve this using the colour override options in the accessibilities settings menu (Preferences (Ctrl + K) -> Accessibility).

Kind regards,
Stefan
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

I would like to highlight the different variants of the headwords with different colors; This requires different color combinations. Among the ones I can create are not the combinations I asked above.

Let me explain with an example: I used 21 color combinations on half a page, starting from the left and in order from top to bottom. There are 18 more.

⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Highlights (PDF-XChange).png
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—

But I can't create the combinations I want because the blend modes don't allow it. So could new "blend modes" be added in the future that can create more combinations? I wanted to ask.

⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Blend Modes (PDF-XChange).png
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:10 pm Hello Toygun,

When you use the highlight tool - you can specify only one colour for the tool itself.
Then you can select the blending mode (the way in which it will interact with the text you are highlighting), and based on the original colour of the text - the result will be different, but you can not force the desired text colour from the settings of the highlight tool.

Or do you want to have such colours of text and background of your page while reading? You can achieve this using the colour override options in the accessibilities settings menu (Preferences (Ctrl + K) -> Accessibility).

Kind regards,
Stefan
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Highlight (Color) Combinations and Blend Modes  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Toygun

The current blend modes most certainly would allow for what you are describing, but you need to remember that "blend modes" are not a simple definition of "text = color A, and background = color B". A Blend mode quite literally defines how the color you have selected "blends" with the other "Colors" in that area.
As an example, the "difference" blend mode, I think, would achieve what it is you are looking for. As you can see here, because I have used the "gray" highlight, with "difference" enabled, the white background of the page is now the inverse (dark grey), or "Difference" from the selected gray, meanwhile, the black text, is the selected gray:
image.png
If we move to a section of the page with an image background, and use the exact same tool, you will see something interesting happen:
image1.png
Though I am still using "gray" the background on the left is now "pink" (or possibly purple, I am partially colorblind, so identification is not my forte). The text, which is black the whole way through, is the same shade of grey across the text, but the background, which switched between speckled green, and speckled white, is two different colors, based on the "difference" between grey, and that original color.
If you were to change the color of the base content text, you would then end up with something like this:
image2.png
I hope this helps to explain that blend modes are highly variable, and the options we offer already, could most certainly accomplish what you need. You will need to modify the colors that are in use for some items though, be it the text, background, and/or highlight itself.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello again

As a quick follow up to this the "difference" blend mode using yellow, assuming you have a normal black text on white background document, seems to offer the exact "yellow text, purple background" that you are looking for:
image.png
Conversely, doing the same with "red" would result in a more "green/turquiose" background (I think):
image1.png
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

It is possible to produce new color mixtures when two - or more - different combinations are mixed. By trial and error, I was able to create the color mixtures I wanted. I wish there was a shortcut though. Now I have to keep in mind which one will mix with which blend. :|
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Important: These combinations only work on the white background. It may be necessary to change the settings according to the background color.
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Highlights 03 (PDF-XChange).png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Toygun

Yes, there will be some trial and error involved, remember that you can also change the "text" color, without needing to use multiple overlapping highlights. Text color is changes from the format tab, or the "properties" pane, while editing the text.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com