Dimension scale: Store scale in individual pages?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

keithsCADservices
User

Dimension scale: Store scale in individual pages?

Post by keithsCADservices »

So far I haven't found a way to store a scale in an individual page. If I'm scaling a document, I have to re-calibrate the scale whenever switching sheets (or details) if the sheet (or detail) is a difference scale from the previous.

It would be a very nice feature to save the scale in the page. It might exist but I've searched to no avail.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Dimension scale: Store scale in individual pages?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, keithsCADservices

I assume you mean the "zoom" level, is that correct? if so I am afraid that I will have to disappoint, Zoom is a document wide setting, the only way to manipulate it on a per page basis is with the use of links (such as bookmarks), if you simply scroll through the document, the current zoom level will be retained.

the next best option I could suggest is to "resize" the pages, scaling up larger pages to a larger size, so that even though the zoom level remains the same, the page size itself changes. This can be done with the "resize pages" tool, on the organize tab.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
keithsCADservices
User

Post by keithsCADservices »

I assume you mean the "zoom" level, is that correct?
I think so. To be specific, this tool:
image.png
image.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 322 times
And thereafter, my dimensions will match whatever scale I've specified. This might be the same as the "zoom" function? Or independent of it maybe? I know Bluebeam is much more expensive software, but this is one area where Bluebeam is a bit ahead. You can set the calibration scale individually for each sheet. It would be a good feature to consider adding in the future.
Another advantage is that in Bluebeam, you can also snap dimensions to vector objects.

I'm going to be the Guinea Pig for my company as far as testing out PDFXChange goes. So far I think it's great!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, keithsCADservices

Oh, measurement scales, that is quite different from visual zoom level.
There is, unfortunately, no way to store measurement scale on a per page basis according to the PDF specification. Measurements are a type of comment, and the data within them (including scale) must be stored individually for the comment, as such it is not possible to assign one of these values to a page as a whole.

Bluebeam is one competitor which frequently goes against the specification (which can result in highly problematic documents that do not function as expected in most other software). Far too many of the unique features they offer are things which we simply cannot offer without threatening to damage the documents we process using said features. Many of the features they offer sound nice on paper, but in practice, since they are not part of the specification, there is no way to ensure that they are "stable" in any other application.

Going against the Spec, as they do, can result in data loss and corruption of documents, and as such, unless the specification changes to allow this, we will not be able to offer sheet based automatic scale changing.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com