Page Numbering Not Transferable?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I find that custom page numbers created in the "Number Pages" function on one computer do not survive being transferred to another.

To elaborate, let's say I use Number Pages to create custom page numbers that are a combination of text and a sequence of page numbers for a subrange of a document. This could be like "January 2022 1", "January 2022 2", "January 2022 nn", etc. for a sub range starting on, say, page 222. I have done this on my main PC. The document file gets saved in a folder that is automatically synced to Microsoft's cloud storage service, OneDrive. Then, if I open the corresponding file on my laptop (both using the same licensed version of PDF-XCE) from the mirrored sync folder everything about the document is as was created except the custom page numbers.

Any idea what's going on? Or NOT going on?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Page Numbering Not Transferable?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

Page numbering most definitely does survive migration from one device to the next, it is part of the docuemnt itself after all. My expectations are one of two things is happening here.
1. the most likely, your second device does not have "use logical page numbers" enabled in the preferences:
image.png
2. less likely, but perhaps the server you are fetching the document from has not finished propagating the new version of the file so that it is accessible for the other device. If you save the changes, and then wait a few minutes before opening on the other device, are the changes then present?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks, Daniel, for your quick reply.

However, it is not your point #1 as both have "use logical pages numbers" ticked as preference options. I keep both 'puters operating the same by exporting and importing settings in "Manage Settings". I will have to see about your point #2.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

Alright, keep me posted if that ends up having been the cause. If that isnt it, Ill need to confer with my colleagues for their input.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

It turns out that the real problem was that, somewhere along the line, the logical page names were deleted entirely and without my knowledge, leaving me with the impression that the two versions of the file differed only with respect to the presence of logical page names!

So, I accept your description of the migration as including logical page names. But I am not sure how to diagnose what I did to wipe out the logical page names :cry: .
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

I am not certain what could have resulted the removal of logical numbering, I hope you will let us know if you discover it.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:04 am ... let us know if you discover it...
It was not hard to discover: logical page names do not survive Combine Files.

Occasionally, I like to append new files to an existing file as I discussed previously here, see https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=37955. As a proper "Append Files" does not exist yet, I use Combine Files. I add files that are the target file and the new files I want to add to the target file and Combine. If I had created logical page names in any of those files, they will not appear in the new combined document.

So, if the DevTeam considers adding a "Append Files" function it would be nice if logical page names survived like everything else.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PHK,

The "Logical Page Numbers" are stored globally for the whole document (as they are ranges that could update when you add/delete pages), so yes - when you create a new PDF file via combining, any logical page number ranges from the source documents are indeed not preserved.

I see that in that other topic a ticket was created for the Append Files feature.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Attachments
image.png
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks, Stefan.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com