Feature Request: Append Files a la Combine Files

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Post by PHK »

The "Combine Files into a Single PDF" function is a powerful feature, partially because it preserves the Bookmark structures and Comments of the combined files. It would be nice to have a similar function that allowed appending files to an existing file in the same manner so that appended file(s) characteristics are preserved.

What one has to do now to achieve appendage is to select the target file and the other files to be appended in the Combine Files function and then delete the top level Bookmark for the target file and then save the file with the target file name (over-writing the previously saved version), which is awkward and problematic.

This comes into play for me when, for instance, I have a file that has all my brokerage or bank statements that I want to enlarge by appending monthly statements as they become available.

Thank you in advance for consideration of this request and your patience in general for my constant pestering.
All best,

FringePhil
lev
User

Re: Feature Request: Append Files a la Combine Files

Post by lev »

Insert Pages (Ctrl+Shift+I) seems to do the trick unless I am missing something.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

Lev is correct, what you have described as the solution to the problem seems to be the Insert pages feature. Can you please confirm for us if that works for your needs, or further elaborate on the problems if you encounter any with this function?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Dear Lev and Daniel,

No, inserting pages does not meet my needs to the extent that it does not append document features such as Bookmarks, Comments, and probably other things like Links. That would be OK if one only wanted the pages but I want more. If you Combine Files, non-page-image characteristics survive combination. That's what I want in an appendage operation.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

I have to ask, have you already tried the insert pages function? It does indeed offer options to retain things like comments and bookmarks:
image.png
and content like links are most certainly retained, pointing to the same pages they did before.

If these options are not available, you may have an old build installed, and I would highly recommend you update.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Apologies! I should have been clearer. Of course, I have used Insert Pages when selecting a few pages in one document to be copied into another. But that is not what I want to be able to do.

I am talking about whole documents being appended to an existing document. In my statements example, I get files monthly. I want to append those files in one transaction; yes, I could go in and open the files one by one and select pages and do Insert Pages but that would be time-consuming and duplicative of effort.

Another example would be where I am trying to create a single file from many or at least several files. If it is the first time doing that, I would Combine Files. But if I've got other files that I want to add to a larger file that I combined earlier, I would like to Append Files. For instance, If I am trying to build a file that has everything about a law suit, I may have to add additional files that come my way as the case develops. This could be new filings, new evidence, new correspondence, new legal rulings. So, I might have a combined file of a thousand pages and I have 8 new files with an additional thousand pages that would be easier to append to the larger file than going through all the files and doing Insert Pages. Obviously, doing operations like linking page content are easier in a single document file than across multiple files and having a Bookmarks panel that covers everything in one document has its advantages.

I hope that informs.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

P. S. Back in the Dark Ages, I used something called PaperPort that liked to create single document files and was resistant to combining files. And, even if you manage to combine many files into one, it really couldn't handle large files and would crash! One reason I prefer PDF-XCE is that these large files can be created and used. My requested feature would add a small degree of functionality that is consistent with the overall usability of the application.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

Thank you for the explanation, but in this case, Why do you need another function beyond "combine files". Combine files, and insert pages, are two sides of the same coin, offering the exact same functions, for different use cases.
- Insert pages can do what you need by inserting specific pages (or all pages) from one document into the current document.
- combine file can do the same, but allows multiple input files to be selected, and then organized in the order you need, specifying page range, bookmark handling and the like, are all possible.

In your first post, you mentioned that the trouble you have with bookmarks is needing to delete the top level bookmark for the file. This should not be necessary, you simply need to uncheck the "create root bookmark" option in the combine files dialog:
image.png
Does this help?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:14 pm...
Does this help?
It helps to the extent that it makes clear that I am not being understood.

Insert Pages does not work well for multiple files; it just does what it says, working at the page level. I want something that works at the file level as Combine Files does now. I am requesting an extension of the Combine Files functionality to cover second, or subsequent, generation file combinations, that's all.

But if you don't get it and/or don't want to add the feature, that is fine, too. I don't want to waste any more of your or my time and energy selling an enhancement that probably only I want and I have already shown I know how to work around.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

I was not saying to use insert files for multiple docuemnts, quite the opposite in fact. I was saying that the two features have their own respective uses.
Combine files can already do what you need, without needing to worry about re-formatting the bookmarks, or any of that. Simply combine the documents, and then save the newly combined file. If you need to "append" to a document, and do not wish for the previous version of it to exist anymore, simply overwrite that file when saving.
Meanwhile, insert pages would be an excellent option to use for cases where you only have a single document to be included on a given day.

If I am misunderstanding, please elaborate on what it is you are asking for, because so far it sounds to me like you simply want to combine multiple existing documents, and retain the bookmarks, links, comments, etc, without any other special bells and whistles.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Daniel, in Combine Files if Bookmarks are optioned "Copy All" are there not the following differences between having the "add root bookmarks" ticked and not ticked:

Ticked: The root structure, the file names, and the respective file bookmarks will be combined as a new bookmark structure as

File A
|-Bookmark1
|-Bookmark2
||---Subbookmark i
||---Subbookmark ii
|-Bookmark etc.
File B
|-Bookmark1
|-Bookmark2
||---Subbookmark i
||---Subbookmark ii
|-Bookmark etc.
File etc.
|-Bookmark1
|-Bookmark2
||---Subbookmark i
||---Subbookmark ii
|-Bookmark etc.

Unticked: none of the file names appear as Bookmarks as

|-Bookmark1
|-Bookmark2
||---Subbookmark i
||---Subbookmark ii
|-Bookmark etc.
|-Bookmark1
|-Bookmark2
||---Subbookmark i
||---Subbookmark ii
|-Bookmark etc.
|-Bookmark1
|-Bookmark2
||---Subbookmark i
||---Subbookmark ii
|-Bookmark etc. ................................?

In other words, you either get NO file names or ALL file names on that option inasmuch as the originally combined file names have been subsumed under the new masterfile Bookmark, with everything else the same.

So, yes, I want to see the file names as Bookmarks. Without the file names as part of the structure, one can get a confusing mess of Bookmarks.

But I want to see the newly appended content to have file name Bookmarks at the same level as the originals, not below and indented from the master, or first, file Bookmarks. To do that with a simple rerunning of Combine Files, I have to delete the master file name Bookmark without deleting the children Bookmarks. And overwrite the old master file.

I can do that as I have said above. I did not mean to turn a Feature Request into a nightmare.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

I understand now, My apologies for not getting this. I see what you mean though, repeatedly doing "combine files" with the root enabled would result in you seeing multiple repeated "file name" bookmarks for the main file, and would break the structure of others below it.

I have created a formal feature request, citing your details here, and requesting the consideration of either a new function entirely, or changes to how the existing tools work, to allow this to be a simplified process for you. Note that as per usual, I cannot currently guarantee implementation, or offer any form of a timeline, but it will be considered when the Dev team are able to look it over.

RT#5913: FR: append files function

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thank you.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thank you all at Tracker for

image.png
image.png (5.61 KiB) Viewed 569 times
in 367.

Although in the actual app, it says

image(1).png
image(1).png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Either "but" or "and" works for me. :D

This is especially useful when combining multiple files into one document.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com