Optional parameter of Page Number macro doesn't seem to work in "Bookmark Every Nth Page"  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Optional parameter of Page Number macro doesn't seem to work in "Bookmark Every Nth Page"

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 10.0.0 build 370.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

The Page Number macro has optional parameters, and it works well with "Header and Footer" and "Bates Numbering" in the Organize Tab.
The syntax for this macro is %[Page] and two sections of parameters are available.

The first section determines the format of page numbers:
  • 'r' specifies the use of lower-case roman numerals.
  • 'R' specifies the use of upper-case roman numerals.
  • 'L' specifies page labels as the page numbering format in cases where page labels have been specified. If page labels have not been specified then standard page numbers are used.
  • '<integer>' specifies the minimum number of digits used. This value can be any positive integer from 1 to 12 - for example %[Page:4] starts the numbering as "0001, 0002, 0003...".
The second section determines the starting value for page numbers, and must therefore be an integer.

Please note that a semicolon must be used to delimit the sections of parameters. If the second section is not used then the semicolon can be omitted. However, if the first section is not used and the second section is used, then it is necessary to use a semicolon.

The syntax for this macro when both parameters are used is %[Page:<Parameter 1>;<Parameter 2>]

The syntax for this macro when only the second parameter is used is %[Page:;<Parameter 2>]

Source: https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... er_ed.html
However, if the Page Number macro is specified in "Bookmark Every Nth Page" of the Bookmarks Tab, the optional parameter does not seem to work.

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... ge_ed.html

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.

Thank you,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version:9.2 build 359.0
- OS Version: Windows 10 Home 21H2 Build 19044.1415
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL
Last edited by rakunavi on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Optional parameter of Page Number macro doesn't seem to work in "Bookmark Every Nth Page"

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi rakunavi,

thanks for the post. If I do not enter any parameters, leaving only the Page macro it works. Can you show me what you are putting in there as the parameter?

This is what I see with just the Page Number macro:
BookmarkEveryNthPage.gif
I am keen to see what you are entering in there.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
rakunavi
User

Re: Optional parameter of Page Number macro doesn't seem to work in "Bookmark Every Nth Page"

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your investigation.
Here are examples of optional parameters that I am trying.

  %[Page:4]
  %[Page:4;4]

I expect that "%[Page:4]" macro will be replaced with "0001, 0002, 0003 ...", and "%[Page:4;4]" macro with "0004, 0005, 0006 ...".

I love named destinations because links between PDF files are maintained even if the page is deleted or moved. When digitizing a book, I always set named destinations to all pages in sequence. At that time, the page numbers included in the named destinations should have a fixed number of digits as follows.

  TEXT_0001
  TEXT_0002
  TEXT_0003

This is because many PDF softwares can't display the order correctly in the list of named destinations without aligning the digits of the page number part. PDF X-Change Editor can display the Named Destinations pane in the correct order, but in "Go to a Page in the Document" or "Go To a Page in Another Document" Dialog Box, it can't display in the correct order as the same as any other PDF software.

  https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/index.html?go-to-page-options_ed.html

The following five steps are my routine work.

• Step 1: Use "Bates Numbering" of the Organize Tab to set the Bates number.
  • Step 2: Use "Bookmark Every Nth Page" of Bookmarks Tab to generate bookmarks using BatesValue macro as a template.
  • Step 3: Use "Convert to Named Destinations" of the Bookmarks Tab to convert bookmarks to named destinations.
  • Step 4: Delete the Bates number set in Step 1.
  • Step 5: Delete the Bookmarks set in Step 2.
If the Page Number macro in "Bookmark Every Nth Page" supports optional parameters, the number of steps required to work is reduced from 5 to 3.

Bates numbers provide visual numbering, while named destinations provide logical numbering and expand the usage of PDF files. So, it would be nice to have various functions for named destinations such as bookmarks. Personally, it would be great if the above routine work could be done at once.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Best Regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi rakunavi,

I am not seeing the number of digits when using %[Page:4] - the results are a single digit.

Let me talk to the team about that and see if it's a bug or my error.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Optional parameter of Page Number macro doesn't seem to work in "Bookmark Every Nth Page"  SOLVED

Hi rakunavi,

This is confirmed as a bug. We will squash it.

The ticket is RT#5914: "Page" macro parameters not working for "Bookmark every N-th page"

I am hopeful that this will be in the next build. We'll have to see how that plays out.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Thank you, Paul, for creating the ticket!
Best regards
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

どういたしまして

I hope that is not presumptuous of me. I lived in 静岡市 for 5 years and was feeling a tad "homesick" for it.

気を付けて

ポール
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke