PDF-XChange Editor password protecting documents

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JMendoza
User

Post by JMendoza »

Hi all,

I have an issue with PDF-XChange Editor making PDF converted to Excel (.xlsx) password protected. The PDF's we convert are not password protected but after converting them to an Excel file it password protects the document, which we don't know the password for. Any ideas on what could be happening here?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor password protecting documents

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi JMendoza,

thanks for the post and description of your issue. Conversion from PDF to Office formats like Word and Excel requires a license. If you do this with a licensed version then the resultant document will not be password protected.

The idea is that when there is no license we do the conversion as a trial so you can see what the conversions look like, but not to provide an editable file without a license.

If you are finding that your converted documents are password protected despite running the Editor with a valid license then please email support@pdf-xchange.com and we will take this up. If you are not running the Editor in trial mode, then this is license related, and we should keep the detail private. We can share the outcome here for the public.

Looking forward to hearing if you have a license.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
JMendoza
User

Post by JMendoza »

Thank you. I will touch base with our users to see what their license situation is, and update you in this thread.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
JMendoza
User

Post by JMendoza »

Hi Paul,

The issue was resolved, thank you very much! It was due to the licenses not applying properly. Just had to reapply them to get everything working properly.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the update JMendoza.

This is great to hear. Do not hesitate to get back to us if you find yourself with additional questions anytime.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
nancykoul
User

Post by nancykoul »

I have the same problem. Should I buy the first pack of 42€? Then it will be ok and I can to convert pdf to word?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi nancykoul,

you do need a license for the Editor in order to open these conversions. Yes. With a licensed Editor the conversions should be without any password and fully editable.

Does that answer your question?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
XChangeGirl
User

Post by XChangeGirl »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:48 pm The idea is that when there is no license we do the conversion as a trial so you can see what the conversions look like, but not to provide an editable file without a license.
Hi. Doing the conversion as a trial in some way makes sense, as you describe it above. But how can you see what the conversion looks like if it requires a password. Something I'm missing here? :?

Thank you!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello XChangeGirl,

The converted files are password protected, so they can not be edited without the password, but they can still be opened in the respective Office application - so you can see the result, just can not edit it.

Kind regards,
Stefan
XChangeGirl
User

Post by XChangeGirl »

Thank you for the reply.

So then, what is the password?

When it asks for a pw, and I click the Read only button, it says it can't open because there "are problems with the contents".

I am running 9.2 build 359 portable.

Thank you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello XChangeGirl,

These passwords are randomly generated - and even we do not know them. Each file is protected with a unique and random password. This is a limitation of the free version.

If you are still unable to open the files at all - then maybe there is something wrong with your version of MS Office as well. Can you please tell us which version of that is currently installed on your end?

Kind regards,
Stefan
XChangeGirl
User

Post by XChangeGirl »

So then it is asking me for a randomly generated password that neither I nor anyone else knows, but that I'm supposed to enter? How is that even possible?

The version of Word I am using is 2007. That is not very up to date, but it is working just fine. Why should that matter? Is Word supposed to know the password automatically? Even if I had the most recent version of Word, the password it is asking for is not known.

How am I supposed to enter a pw that no one knows? Sorry, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Wouldn't it be better to offer a fully functional trial version and then have it time out and revert to the limited free version?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, XChangeGirl

No, you do not need to enter the password at all, simply close the popup asking for the password, and you can view the contents of the document. The password protection ONLY prevents editing, not viewing, Word itself just asks for the editing password immediately as you open it.

If/when your have a license for our software properly installed, you will want to re-create these files, by using the export feature again, because the license is in place then, it will be created without this security.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

XChangeGirl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:04 pm Wouldn't it be better to offer a fully functional trial version and then have it time out and revert to the limited free version?
I feel that their business model is reasonable.
If they were to offer a "fully functional" trial version without any restriction, then even after the time-out you suggested the exported files would still be fully accessible (and editable).
—DIV
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello DIV,

Thanks for your input! Indeed - we do not have any plans to change our licensing model in that respect!

Kind regards,
Stefan
XChangeGirl
User

Post by XChangeGirl »

Hi. For some reason it wasn't working as you described with my Word 2007. But I tried opening it from Google Drive, in Google Docs, and it opened fine - and didn't give me a pw prompt at all. I expected that based on Word. I just wanted to confirm that the conversion worked well and it seemed to.

Also - I was not suggesting you change your business model, which is fine and fairly typical. In fact, I like how you describe your approach to business and customer relations on your About page. It looked like I needed a pw that could not be provided and that nobody else knew anyway - that was weird. I kind of questioned that from a marketing point of view. :)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, XChangeGirl

Word 2007 should understand the concept of documents being locked for editing, but readable. Sadly I do not have a copy available to test this here. In any case, I am glad to see that you found the file are indeed working as described.

Have a nice day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
guneszop
User

Post by guneszop »

i was also searching for the same, thanks for the answer.
Last edited by guneszop on Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)