Text box (and maybe other callouts) - possible to set default size of box?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

paulkaye
User

Post by paulkaye »

Hi all,
I'm looking to set the default initial size of a text box, but I can't seem to find a way to do this.
Similarly, and perhaps an alternative approach, might be to set "fit box to text content" as a default setting for text boxes. But I can't find a way to achieve this, either.
Explanation: I often label PDFs with reference numbers containing 2-4 numerals. Currently, every time I insert a text box it is much too wide, covering some of the thing that I'm trying to label. So every time I insert a new text box I must reduce its size. It would be great if I didn't need to resize it every time.

Any thoughts?
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Text box (and maybe other callouts) - possible to set default size of box?

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello paulkaye,

I'm afraid that there is no direct way of doing this.

Perhaps you can use the Transform tool to set the exact size:

image.png

image1.png
image1.png (59.33 KiB) Viewed 481 times

You may also duplicate the already created box:

image.png

Regards.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

paulkaye wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:05 am [...] every time I insert a text box it is much too wide, covering some of the thing that I'm trying to label. So every time I insert a new text box I must reduce its size. It would be great if I didn't need to resize it every time.
This happens to me all the time too, and I just assigned the "W" key (like "width") to the "Fit Box by Text Content" command.

Then all I have to do is click on the border of the text box once and hit the W key, causing that text box to snap back to the respective minimum size.

Hope that helps & best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

That's a great option David.

Another option would be to use the Typewriter Tool. It defaults to the width of the text and can have a coloured border like a text box. You can set that as the default so that you get a result that looks like the text box but always fits the text entered.

You can then save that in the Comment Styles Palette and end up with a collection of useful Typewriter styles you can switch between.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
paulkaye
User

Post by paulkaye »

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies.
Until now I have tended to use Dimitar's second option (duplication).
I like the sound of David's suggestion - not just for this particular matter, but the keyboard associations in general. I didn't even realise that keyboard associations were possible in PDF-XChange! In fact, I'd been frustrated that ctrl+d didn't provide a "duplicate" feature like in Powerpoint, so even if I were to stick with Dimitar's duplication, it would now be more convenient.
Thanks again, all of you, for your help.
-P
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com