Typewriter tool doesn't stay selected any more  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DIV
User

Typewriter tool doesn't stay selected any more

Post by DIV »

In Editor Plus 9.2 (build 358) the Typewriter tool doesn't stay selected any more for me.
After clicking the toolbar/ribbon button once, it used to be possible to insert many annotations in various locations. Now once the user has clicked to position the first annotation, the mouse pointer immediately reverts to a hand, so I am continually forced to click back on the toolbar/ribbon button.
Not sure whether it's a glitch in my individual computer system, or a horrible degradation of the functionality of Editor.
—DIV

P.S. I also sometimes have trouble selecting highlights. I haven't quite put my finger on a reproducible way to replicate that (separate) problem.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Typewriter tool doesn't stay selected any more  SOLVED

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello DIV,

To resolve this issue please make sure that this option is enabled:

image.png
As for the second problem please give us more details about what exactly is going on when you try to do that.

A short video indicating the problem will be very useful.

Regards.
DIV
User

Re: Typewriter tool doesn't stay selected any more

Post by DIV »

Thanks so much, Dimitar!

Of course, the option was right there the whole time, and I simply didn't see it. I did search the forum, although sometimes it's hard to know what search string to input.

I have used quite a few different versions of Editor, and don't remember ever having to click such a button before.
Looking back at old (portable) versions that I still have installed, I (eventually) confirmed that indeed the button existed at least as far back as version 7.0.
Did the default setting for this when 'installing' Editor change in version 9.2?

The button is not necessarily easy to find either, even when you know to look on the ribbon in the context of 'using' the Typewriter tool.
Version 9.2 has a ribbon menu called Commenting Tools > Format, and has the same "Keep Selected" button as in your screenshot.
But that menu is only shown upon 'incipient' use of the Typewriter tool. That is, just immediately after the Typewriter tool button has been clicked, but before/without creating a new typewriter text annotation (and likewise before/without selecting any existing typewriter text object or selecting text within any existing typewriter text object).
Otherwise we get various other menus that do not contain that "Keep Selected" button!

Text Editing Tools > Format menu, shown when actively editing text within an annotation:
image.png

Commenting Tools > Format menu, shown when selecting a text annotation:
image1.png

Commenting Tools > Arrange menu, shown when selecting a text annotation:
image2.png

Mostly I would only click format when there is something to format, rather than before there is something to format, so I guess that is a major reason that I didn't see the button.

—DIV
Last edited by DIV on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, DIV

I am fairly certain that the "keep selected" function has been located on the format tab since the its conception for version 7, since it was designed to "replace" the properties toolbar from the Classic UI. and i know for a fact that it was indeed present on the format tab back in version 9.1, only very shortly ago. On checking back to the old versions i have present on my machine, I can say that version 7.0 as well most certianly did have this option in the same location.

With that said, the default behaviour of these tools also has not changed in this timeframe, most commenting tools have "keep selected" enabled by default, which would be exactly why you dont remember ever "needing" to do this before, it was already done. the most likely cause here is a miss-click that resulted in you turning this feature off for a specific tool.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Hello, Daniel.

Yes, if the default hasn't changed, then most likely I accidentally clicked that button some time ago without realising it, thereby unintentionally deactivating the "Keep Selected" attribute.

—DIV

P.S. Your reply was so swift that it came while I was amending my previous response. For the record, I originally said that I couldn't find the button in any versions of Editor prior to 9.2. My above post has been corrected after I discovered that the context-sensitive nature of the ribbon menus meant that while I was looking at a "Format" menu when I checked the old versions the first time, I later realised it was the 'wrong' "Format" menu (rather than being an older version of the same "Format" menu). Sorry for any confusion caused by that.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Typewriter tool doesn't stay selected any more

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

:)