Scanner-Feeder option

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ade_m
User

Scanner-Feeder option

Post by ade_m »

Hi there,

PDF-Xchange Editor 9.2 build 359.0
Scanner: EPSON WF-3620

When I try to use the scanner, and I setup the scanner to use the Auto feeder, although its set correctly it looks like PDF-Xchange is only triggering the flatbed. If I set it to Simple scan, it does work using the feeder, but then I can't use duplex.

Any idea ?
image.png
PHK
User

Re: Scanner-Feeder option

Post by PHK »

I have an Epson scanner, a different model, and I scan with the same set up as you show in your screenshot and it works as desired.

I just wonder if your issue arises from the way you scanner is set up. But my scanner does not have an "Auto feeder" option so I cannot explore that possility but I wonder if you do not set up the scanner to "Auto feeder" if that would solve your problem.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ade_m,

thanks for the post. Looking at your screen shot it shows "Full Duplex (Hardware)" - so at first glance it appears this should be working.

What actually happens when you scan?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

From your screenshot, it looks like you are connected to the scanner via WIA; have you tried TWAIN which works well in my setup?
image.png
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Good call PHK, I am keen to see that too.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ade_m
User

Post by ade_m »

So when it scans, it just scans using the flatbed with those settings.

Just once, did it actually use the feeder (When I set the settings back to default), but I've not been able to repeat it.

I'll try a TWAIN setup and see if that works..

I'm also using a few other scanner apps... Paperport, NAPS2.. each seem to have their own missing features so I was hoping PDF-XCHANGE would be the answer
ade_m
User

Post by ade_m »

Now that's very odd... my screenshot above clearly shows WIA was the scanner selected.
I did reboot yesterday, and when I go into PDF-XChange today, without making any changes, the only option is the default TWAIN driver.

If I start/stop other scanner apps before/alongside PDF-XChange, can that possibly somehow lock drivers ?
When I tried to scan using the TWAIN driver, it said it wasn't able to communicate with it - rebooting the laptop again now..
ade_m
User

Post by ade_m »

And now after the reboot.. both are showing again...
image.png
image.png (116.78 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

ade_m wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:05 am...

I'm also using a few other scanner apps... Paperport, NAPS2.. each seem to have their own missing features so I was hoping PDF-XCHANGE would be the answer
The "answer" depends on the question. Different uses require different solutions. I used PaperPort for twenty years which was at least six too many. I still have it installed on my PC but haven't used it in ages. I cannot think of anything in PP that cannot be done, usually better than, in PDF-XCE. And there are many things in PDF-XCE that just do not exist in PP.
All best,

FringePhil
ade_m
User

Post by ade_m »

PHK wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:58 pm
ade_m wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:05 am...

The "answer" depends on the question. Different uses require different solutions. I used PaperPort for twenty years which was at least six too many. I still have it installed on my PC but haven't used it in ages. I cannot think of anything in PP that cannot be done, usually better than, in PDF-XCE. And there are many things in PDF-XCE that just do not exist in PP.
Yeah I'm pretty convinced too.. so much I just bought a license :) PP would of been perfect for me if they'd of maintained it and if the doc-management bugs had of been worked out.

Whatever this issue is today on Feeder vs Flatbed within PDF-Exchange though, I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Right now I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the TWAIN driver. None of the apps can access it.
The printer/scanner is using DHCP (but static IP, DHCP served), so the IP shouldn't of changed in years.
I've tried uninstalling the printer via Win10s Printers and Scanners UI but it refuses to remove.
I did find a firmware update for the printer, but that's not helped.

Anyone know how to pull the guts out of the TWAIN drivers so I can clear them off and try to reinstall ?

Otherwise for now, I'm stuck with WIA.
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

ade_m wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:23 pm ...Yeah I'm pretty convinced too.. so much I just bought a license :) PP would of been perfect for me if they'd of maintained it and if the doc-management bugs had of been worked out...
Right. Intuit's focus drifted off document handling in favor of voice recognition/conversion to text for whatever reasons and sold off PP to Kofax who don't seem to have a clue, either. This sort of user forum would be just unheard-of with the old PP crew, among many other blind spots.

Epson may have new drivers that you can download although that model looks pretty new and up-to-date. Or they may be able to give some on-line advice, chat or whatever. There may even be a YouTube video on the subject; there is on almost everything else.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,

Just to be sure we are all on the same page, does automatic duplexing work in other applications with either Wia or Twain?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ade_m
User

Post by ade_m »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm Hello,

Just to be sure we are all on the same page, does automatic duplexing work in other applications with either Wia or Twain?

Kind regards,
Yeah it works fine using WIA in all the other apps.. NAPS2, PaperPort, Epson scan etc. I can scan single feeder, duplex feeder or flatbed and all trigger the right module in the scanner. So far its just PDF-Exchange thats the only one that's triggering the wrong scan module(?) for feeder.
If I check Native interface, that opens the Epson scan UI, where if I choose the Feeder it does works. Sadly though this UI doesn't know about Duplex, so I can't choose between Single Feeder of Duplex Feeder. A lot of documents I scan are a mix.

If I try to choose the TWAIN driver then all of the apps fail, but I also noticed the name of that TWAIN "device" is actually the factory default name, so I expect that's actually been broken for years as I renamed the printer years ago when I had two of the same model.
I've not figured out how to remove/reinstall this yet.

Side note: Whilst jumping through changing settings on Profiles, I notice that when I choose a Profile, then modify it, for it to take affect I have to re-save it as itself. Hitting Apply doesn't do what you'd think it would do, and PDF-exchange silently moves you to "custom" profile when something is changed which is easy to miss. If I'm editing/changing a profile, it should stick to that profile - otherwise what's the point of the Apply button.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, ade_m

If the "native drivers" for the device are unaware of a duplexing option, it sounds like you may have the incorrect drivers for the device installed, or perhaps universal drivers that are older than the device itself. My first recommendation would be to go to the manufacturers website, and ensure you have downloaded and installed the correct latest drivers specifically for that device, instead of universal drivers. The restart the PC and see if that helps.

If that does not resolve the problem, I will need to ask some of our development team members for their input on this, so please let me know.

As for your mention of changing profiles, do you mean when printing, and adjusting the Lite or Standard driver printer profile settings? if so, it is expected to switch to a custom profile when making changes from a print dialog, as these changes are not made permanently. if you wish to make permanent changes to the printer properties/profiles, you will need to open the windows "devices and printers" menu, and make the changes to profiles from there.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
ade_m
User

Post by ade_m »

Hi Daniel,

Yeah its all the correct drivers - and as I said other apps can happily run duplex/single/flatbed operations without any issue.
Its just that the very native UI Epson give doesn't offer that feature. They want you to use their Epson Scan tool that uses Profiles (where then you define the lower levels of detail about the scan, like duplex etc).

Paperport, NAPS2, all work fine with their UIs on setting flatbed/feeder and then listing our single/duplex.
If there's any diagnostics I can provide let me know.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, ade_m

Thank you for the patience while I spoke with the dev team about this. Today I learned a few things, The most important for you though will be that, it appears, our current WIA handling simply cannot currently perform automatic duplexing at all. To scan in duplex, you will need to use the TWAIN drivers.
The fact that your devices TWAIN drivers are non-functional in any apps is the real problem here. The only thing that I can suggest is contacting the manufacturer, and asking for their help in repairing their TWAIN drivers. Simply inform them that you cannot use TWAIN scanning in any apps, and that you need help getting it restored to working order.

In the meantime, Our devs have informed me that they are going to look and see if they can find any workarounds to allow WIA to work in the future, but at the moment I cannot make any guarantees.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Alex-Tracker DevTeam
User

Post by Alex-Tracker DevTeam »

Hello, ade_m
Would you agree to have a remote session with us to discover possible ways to solve the problem?
Thanks in advance!
ade_m
User

Post by ade_m »

Hi there,

Yeah sure I don't mind doing a meeting at all. Would just need to set a time/date etc (getting busy for xmas!)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ade_m,

Please e-mail support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this topic, your time zone, and times that are convenient for you and I will see to pass those on to Alex!

Kind regards,
Stefan
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, again!

I have not seen an email from you regarding this topic as of yet, but Alex is prepared to begin looking into this further when you are. Just in case the email was lost, can you please send us a new email, with the details Stefan mentioned above, and "Attn:Alex and Dan" in the subject line, so that it will be sent directly to one of us.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com