[Suggestion] Auto numbering if the name of the renamed document already exists

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

[Suggestion] Auto numbering if the name of the renamed document already exists

Post by Jensen Head »

Now when the user clicks the "Rename" button ("Changes document's file name to the specified one. Note that the document will be saved beforehand"), the "Rename Document" window appears. If the entered file name already exists in the folder of the open document, it is offered to overwrite it, or not to rename ("The document with the same name already exists. Do you want to rewrite it?").
However, even in Microsoft File Explorer there is a "Rename file" option: "Do you want to rename %filename% to %filename — copy (#)"? A file with the same name already exists in this location.
(I'm not sure if the English-language text is exactly that, I translated from Russian).
In the FAR file manager, a similar feature is described as
Existing file will not be changed, a new name will be given to the file being copied.
Existing target files will stay unchanged, copied files will be renamed.
In PDF-Tools, this is called
When file already exists: Save new with other unique name (autonumber).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Auto numbering if the name of the renamed document already exists

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jensen Head,

that sounds pretty reasonable to me. I raised a formal feature request around it.

While not a promise to deliver said feature, it does represent a commitment to looking into it. Ultimately this will be at the discretion of the development team leader.

For your reference the ticket is RT#5840: Feature request :: Editor :: More options when file exists on Rename - though it is for internal use only, so ask here if you are looking for an update and a support staff member should be able to get you a report.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com