[Suggestion] "Split Pages" — templates and quick cleanup

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Lately, I often use the page-slicing function. I really miss the quick removal of all separators (using the button or the context menu in the list of separators) and the saved custom separator settings. For example, my most common use is 50 percent vertical, 33.33 percent vertical, and 25 percent vertical. It would be much more convenient to save each of these settings once, and then just select one of them in the corresponding drop-down list.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] "Split Pages" — templates and quick cleanup

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

Sorry, you mention that you miss this function, but I do not believe that we have ever offered such. In V9 we do not offer a "split every..." function, which would allow you to split every specified percentage across your pages fairly quickly and easily
PDFXEdit_Cy9Ln8J89H.png
Beyond that, your mention of wanting "profiles" for this function is an excellent suggestion, I think we may already have a ticket for it, so I will take a look around, but if not I'll forward this to the dev team shortly.

[UPDATE: it seems there was not a ticket for this yet, so I have created one for you - RT#5841: Add settings profiles to "split pages" dialog ]

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:25 pmSorry, you mention that you miss this function, but I do not believe that we have ever offered such. In V9 we do not offer a "split every..." function, which would allow you to split every specified percentage across your pages fairly quickly and easily
Excuse me, could you rephrase what you wrote? My english is pretty poor. In the context of the dialogue, it was not I who did not understand the meaning of what I quoted. Or, you did not fully understand what I wrote in the first message.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

Sorry if was unclear, what I was referring to is this sentance:
Jensen Head wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:10 pm I really miss the quick removal of all separators (using the button or the context menu in the list of separators) and the saved custom separator settings.
In here you mention "missing" a function, one which after looking back through multiple previous installations of our software, I could not find. Was this a feature in another software that you use previously, or am I missing an obvious option when I look through our old builds?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:30 pmIn here you mention "missing" a function, one which after looking back through multiple previous installations of our software, I could not find. Was this a feature in another software that you use previously, or am I missing an obvious option when I look through our old builds?
I chose the wrong word. When I wrote
Jensen Head wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:10 pmI really miss the quick removal of all separators
I meant that this feature is not in the current version, it was not in previous versions, but I hope that it will appear sometime. Pressing Ctrl + A and Delete (or even just, for example, Alt + Delete) on the keyboard to delete all set separators would be faster than the way it is implemented in the current version. This is irrelevant when you do it several times a month, but becomes important when you have to do it hundreds of times a day.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

Ah, I see, thank you for clarifying. I will pass this along to the Dev team for consideration. In the meantime, though not an entirely "keyboard focused" solution, you can click+drag within the split list panel, and quickly select all splits, then press the delete button on your keyboard (or click delete above) to remove the all at once.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I propose to consider checkboxes in the list of separators as an addition or replacement for profiles. Probably, it will be even faster - using the keyboard arrows and the space bar, mark only the separators you need at the moment, deselecting the others that are not needed at the moment. In the case of selected multiple separators, pressing the asterisk on the keyboard inverts their selection. The shortcuts Shift + Home, Shift + End, Shift + Arrow Up / Down must be supported. If more than one separator is selected, pressing the spacebar alternately sets them the selected / unselected state.
Last edited by Jensen Head on Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

That sounds like an excellent feature, if a bit overly complex. I cannot promise it will be implemented at this time, but I have made a formal feature request for you on the topic:
RT#5872: FR: toggle split dividers

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I agree with the general thrust of JensenHead's suggestions concerning Split Pages plus a few more thoughts below.

The split-line, or "separator", does not show up well on my monitor. Any chance it could be "beefed up" a bit? Also, it would be nice if there were a little window on the pop-up panel that provided a digital reading of where on the document the split-line is.

It would be nice to have a "Show Rulers" option for the display window in Split Pages so that you have a more precise appreciation of where you are on the document.

It would be nice to have the option of not carrying over separator selections from use to use. If one is using different splits from use to use, you have to remove the previous separators for each new use. Boring.

Thanking you in advance for your consideration of these suggestions.
Last edited by PHK on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PHK,

Thanks for adding your remarks. Those have been included in the ticket and will be considered.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks, Stefan.

While you are at it, could you add one more thing to the ticket? If you have selected multiple splits, horizontal and/or vertical, but want to remove them all, you have to select them all before either one at a time or by highlighting them. A "Remove All" button would be a small time saver.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Done, that is on the ticket.

What we actually get remains to be seen... :D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks. It's a start... 8)
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com