How can I integrate PDF XChange Editor into MS Edge?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ACF
User

How can I integrate PDF XChange Editor into MS Edge?

Post by ACF »

I'm new here. Near Munich / Germany I develop applications for the mind mapping program Mindmanager from Corel (formerly Mindjet) to use mind maps to solve complex legal issues.

Mindmanager integrates the Microsoft Edge browser.
The browser can also be used to view PDFs that are linked to the mind map, which is quite important for our work.

Mindmanager recently switched to Edge. Mindmanager previously worked with Internet Explorer 11. This made it possible not only to view PDFs, but also to edit them completely with the PDF Xchange Editor. So you could work on PDFs from Mindmanager (e.g. cut or highlight text), which was great.

Since IE 11 is out of date software, Corel has switched the integrated browser for Mindmanager to Edge. Unfortunately, we have not yet managed to integrate the PDF Xchange Editor into Edge, as it did before in IE11.

Hence my questions:
# 1: Is there any way to integrate the PDF Xchange Editor into Edge?
# 2: If so, how?
# 3: Do you know a professional who could help me solve the problem (because I'm a lawyer, but not really an IT expert)?

Technical information:
Operating system is Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1 (Build 19043.1348)
Our standard browser is Firefox (version 94.0.2, 64-bit); MS Edge (version 96.0.1054.34, 64-bit) is also installed.
Mindmanager runs in the current version 22.0.273, 64-bit.

Thank you for any help.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How can I integrate PDF XChange Editor into MS Edge?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, ACF

Edge unfotunately does not allow NPAPI plugins any longer, which is what a fully integrated browser requires in order to offer the functions that we used to with IE. As such, it is unfortunately no longer possible for us to offer this integration. With that said, Edge itself offers a built in Viewer, and if you have the latest version of our software installed, our new Edge plugin allows easy opening of these files in the locally installed Editor, with a button in the Edge view:
image.png
At the moment, this is the best that we can offer without building an entirely cloud based version of our software, and handling the entire editing process on our own servers, like Adobe does with their "web plugin".

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ACF
User

Post by ACF »

Hello Daniel,

I found a post on the tracker software support forum that might help. Under the heading "PDF-XChange is always replaced by Edge as the standard app for PDF" (https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=36811&p=151809&hilit=Edge+ Editor #) Seeker45 describes , how he managed to enter PDF-XChange Editor as the default viewer with the help of SetUserFTA.exe (a workaround by Christoph Kolbicz mentioned in the same article).

I had contact with Seeker45 by e-mail and he said that when Mindmanager calls the PDF Default Viewer, SetUserFTA.exe should ensure that the PDF-XChange Editor is called. However, if Mindmanger calls Edge directly for the PDF display, then it would not help to change the default viewer, because Mindmanager then specifies a concrete / specific viewer.
I am currently clarifying with Mindmanager how their software calls the browser.

Maybe that would also be an approach for tracker software?

Kind regards
ACF
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

ACF wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:50 pm Since IE 11 is out of date software, Corel has switched the integrated browser for Mindmanager to Edge. Unfortunately, we have not yet managed to integrate the PDF Xchange Editor into Edge, as it did before in IE11.
ACF wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:01 pm However, if Mindmanger calls Edge directly for the PDF display, then it would not help to change the default viewer, because Mindmanager then specifies a concrete / specific viewer.
Well, reading your both statements, I'd say this tool won't help you, as Mindmanager integrates the browser (now Edge instead of IE).

From what I've found on the Internet, SetUserFTA.exe may be used to programmatically set file type associations on a per user bases. This is the same as if a user selects "PDF XChange Editor" as default PDF viewer manually via windows gui. So you could easily test it on your system even without downloading SetUserFTA.exe.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ACF,

Mike has a good point here, if they call The Edge directly don't see SetUserFTA.exe as even getting a chance to have an impact. If they call the default PDF application then you can have that default to the Editor without needing SetUserFTA.exe and if they explicitly call The Edge then that "Open in PDF-XChange Editor" button Daniel mentioned is going to be the quickest route to editing the PDF directly.

Calling The Edge without providing an option to use the default PDF viewer would be unfortunate.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ACF
User

Post by ACF »

Thank you for your advice. My hope of being able to edit PDFs with PDF-Xchange Editor directly in Mindmanager's integrated browser, as in IE, has been dashed. But it's better to have clear information than trying it out for hours without success. So thanks!

A small consolation is that when I open a file from Mindmanager, I can choose whether it should be opened in the internal browser or externally in my standard PDF program (PDF-XChange Editor).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

I would that we still had a path open to us that we could follow to do a modern plugin. The door is firmly shut however.

If that changes I am sure we will jump on it.

:D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com