Duplicating form pages always creates linked form fields

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Duplicating form pages always creates linked form fields

Post by David.P »

Hello forum and Tracker Support team,

I have a PDF form that I want to duplicate multiple times in the same document.

When duplicating pages, this message comes up:
image.png

No matter if I choose "yes" or "no", it seems that the fields are not renamed when duplicating the page, and remain linked over all pages. However, I need to enter different content into the same fields on each page.

Could it be that the feature does not work?

Also, page duplication via the specific command does not seem to work. When selecting copy with rename, the form fields do not seem to be duplicated at all.

image.png
image.png

In fact, when duplicating a page via the above dialog, a single non-renamed duplicate of the form fields is created in both above-shown cases, but all further duplicate pages no longer contain any form fields.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
PHK
User

Re: Duplicating form pages always creates linked form fields

Post by PHK »

I think I have had either the same or a similar problem when duplicating forms.

This arises for me where I receive a set of forms from an external source. It might consist of one or more pages that do not get duplicated but will also have a typical "expansion sheet" format for multiple follow-on entries. It might have blank spaces for 3 or more data elements that are repeated five or more times on a page. If the form-filler-inner has more entries than the single page repitions, they must go to further expansion pages. The logical thing is to duplicate the blank expansion pages before filling in anything to as many pages as is required. But, as David points out, the form fields are also duplicated exactly as the original.

Therefore, the entries in the form fields of the first expansion page will be duplicated on the additional expansion pages whereas what you really want are new fresh form fields on the added expansion pages.

I can attach an example if the above is not clear enough.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Duplicating form pages always creates linked form fields

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, David and PHK,

Thank you for reporting this, I see the same issue here and have informed the Dev team I will likely be creating a ticket for this shortly, and adding it here once that is done.

RT#5828: Duplicate pages - Copy w/ rename form fields error

Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com