Bug or Idiosyncracy? Navigate Backwards in Tab Groups

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Hello, all.

If I have two separate documents open in two different Tab Groups with two separate Navigation panes under them and I click on the Navigate Backwards button
image.png
image.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 797 times
in the navigation pane of the INACTIVE Tab Group, it will navigate backwards in the ACTIVE Tab Group. In other words, if there are two Tab Groups showing with the active Tab Group (tab highlighted) on the right and click on the green arrow under the tab group that is not active (tab not highlighted) on the left, it will change the focus backwards of the active tab, the other group on the right, not the one above the green arrow on the left.

Is this the way it is supposed to operate? I would have expected it to either change focus to the tab above and go backwards or do nothing at all. The last thing I would expect is that it changes the focus of the other Group, but that's what it does.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Bug or Idiosyncracy? Navigate Backwards in Tab Groups

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi PHK,

well lots of discussion about this here. There seems to be some uncertainty of exactly what you are doing here to see the results you do. May I ask you to do an animated GIF capture of it all so that we may see exactly what to do to reproduce this?

If you don't already have a suitable app I find this free little utility handy for grabbing such things:
LICEcap from https://www.Spam message posted by BOT engine - ignore - to be deleted by admin.com/licecap/

Also we released a new build yesterday, you should check for updates and test this with 9.2.359.0
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

I believe that this is a case of having this setting activated (and wanting to deactivate it):

Hth & cheers
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,

You might be on to something there David, good catch. PHK, if you disable this option, does everything work as you needed?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

I stand corrected, with respect to my above post. I do see the same problem now as well.

For me, issuing the back command seems to change focus to a random different PDF window, and even to another PDF document, and is executed there instead of in the active document.

I would like to kindly ask once more that the view history please should be thoroughly checked and fixed.

It would really be extremely important to reliably have a separate view history for each window, and ideally also for each pane of a split view.

That unexpected jumping between different windows and unwanted movements happening in other documents are extremely irritating, and can make focused work with multiple documents next to impossible.

Here is a related recent thread:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=23719&hilit=back+split&p=153058#p153058

Please note that even in split view it happens to me all the time that, after changing focus to the other pane and then issuing a Go Back command, the view jumps to some random different point in the document which was neither the last view in this pane nor in the other pane.

Summing up, something is rather upside down with the view history logic.

Kind regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 pm ...You should check for updates and test this with 9.2.359.0
I have done that now so my recent experimentation is in that context.

First of all, the following applies when multiple, two or more, Tab Groups ("TG") are open.

I think I've been looking at it from the wrong end of the telescope, so to speak. I think the problem is that some changes of focus are not recognized by the "Previous View" and "Next View" commands, if executed by the blue arrow buttons in the navigation panes of inactive TGs (not highlighted), first page, previous page, next page, last page. Before I forget, it doesn't matter in which navigation panes you are clicking the arrows; they all work the same. These navigational commands from inactive TGs are ignored by the "Previous" commands.

So, if you've got say three TGs active ,only one document will be active and that TG will be highlighted. No news there. Any navigating around pages in that TG will be recognized as being in the "Previous" or "Next" chain. But if you go to a navigation pane under a TG that is not active without changing the tabs focus, you can navigate through pages of the showing document in that inactive TG by using the blue arrow buttons without effecting the Previous chain. You can use the green arrows in any navigation pane under TG but they will only page through the chain you previously created.

This is alright (maybe even useful) so long as one knows that that is how things work. Maybe the User Guide could benefit from a little elaboration of that point. It currently looks like this:
image.png
Perhaps some discussion of the navigational characteristics of active/inactive Tab Groups would be helpful.

Thank you, David, for pitching in on this problem, I hope you can follow and test what I have written above.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks for taking the time to delve into this and support my inquiry, David.
David.P wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:22 pm ...For me, issuing the back command seems to change focus to a random different PDF window, and even to another PDF document, and is executed there instead of in the active document.
I am not sure it is random. It looks random because its logic is not immediately apparent. But I think it comes down to the blue arrow navigations are not recognized in the green arrow processes, to put it simply.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Just for my own satisfaction, just to get this off my mind so that I can move on ---

It is apparent that the thing that is different about the green-buttons action is that it accesses a recorded string of focus views. That recorded string is being constructed in the computer's memory in the background by default, invisibly or without direction from the user. It is volatile in the sense that it does not survive exiting the application or shutting down the computer, a bit like the computer's clipboard. But unlike the clipboard which requires a user to capture an entry, PDFXCE is always recording entries for this chain. I don't know how many or if there is some time limiter. However, I infer that not absolutley all focus views get captured. The blue arrow page views of inactive Tab Groups, for example. Maybe others? Are other things being recorded to which users have no access, unlike the Previous/Next views?

This is all fine. I would like just a little transparency on how it functions.
All best,

FringePhil
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi PHK.
These navigational commands from inactive TGs are ignored by the "Previous" commands.
Yes, you are right, there is a bug. We will fix it in the next build. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to investigate this issue.
I don't know how many or if there is some time limiter. However, I infer that not absolutely all focus views get captured. The blue arrow page views of inactive Tab Groups, for example. Maybe others? Are other things being recorded to which users have no access, unlike the Previous/Next views?
It ignores too tiny page-layout changes and too-close-in-time changes (when interval between is less than 1sec). We will look into it again and try to improve too..

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Brilliant! Thanks for taking my inquiry so seriously and so expeditiously. Just another reason why PDF-XChange Editor is the best in the market.

Kind regards,

PHK
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America