Please upload all new releases to VirusTotal and scan them before making them available to end users

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Impress
User

Please upload all new releases to VirusTotal and scan them before making them available to end users

Post by Impress »

Please upload all new releases to VirusTotal and scan them before making them available to end users.

I've been doing this for years, and I will no longer be able to provide this service for free. My internet access rates have increased and are now metered (and very slow), so Tracker-Software or other volunteers will have to provide this service. Or, if you prefer, you can provide compensation to help offset my costs.

The releases can be uploaded here:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

You can also get an API key and automate the process.

You'll want to upload all the release files (MSI, ZIP, EXE, et al.). Also uploading the documentation PDF files isn't a bad idea, but is likely not as critical.

Note that it is standard practice for developers to upload and scan all end user files with VirusTotal. This helps prevent accidental malware from infecting distributed files as well as giving developers a heads-up if their software is generating false positives to avoid an onslaught of claims all over the internet that their software is infected with malware.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Please upload all new releases to VirusTotal and scan them before making them available to end users

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Impress,

Many thanks for what you have been doing so far! I believe we have a team member dedicated to doing the same from our side, but will double check with our devs to be absolutely sure. If there isn't such a system in place - we will certainly set one up for the future!

Kind regards,
Stefan