Error [IO subsystem]: End of Data reached  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DIV
User

Error [IO subsystem]: End of Data reached

Post by DIV »

Hello, all.

Today, for the first time, I got a new error message: "Error [IO subsystem]: End of Data reached" (attached).
20211024a_PDFX_EndOfData.redacted.png

Version: PDF-XChange Editor Plus 9.1.356.0 (portable) on Windows 8.1 x64.

This arose from a combination of steps, each of which I have performed individually in the past (many times, for some steps).

Here is the indicative sequence:
  1. Open PDF file (Read-Only). Editor reports the Application = "Acrobat PDFMaker 21 for PowerPoint" and the PDF Producer = "Adobe PDF Library 21.7.127". The document comprises PDF'ed PowerPoint slides with text content (structured as Container>Text) and then 'handwritten' electronic notes overlaid (structured as Path in the Content pane, so each individual curve is a separate content item). I have opened this sort of document from the same source several times before.
  2. Add some Comments using the Typewriter tool. I have done this many times, including with the same type of document.
  3. Save the document with a new filename. (I hit "Save" and it redirects to Save As.) I have done this many times, including with the same type of document.
  4. Add some more Comments using the Typewriter tool.
  5. Save the document.
  6. Add some more Comments using the Typewriter tool.
  7. Save the document.
  8. Copy (by thumbnail drag-and-drop) one of the middle pages (by now containing text, handwritten Path content, and Comments) to a position immediately following the original page. This I have only done occasionally, and maybe never with this type of document. I was originally going to insert an empty page, but avoided that for reasons described in an earlier post on this forum.
  9. Delete the majority of the handwritten handwritten Path content (by mouse selection) on the copied page. This I have only done rarely, but it has been with this type of document.
  10. Add some more Comments on the copied page.
  11. Save the document.
  12. Add some more Comments on the page following the copied page.
  13. Scroll up to the (by now modified) copied page. Surprisingly I noticed that only the Comments were displayed; the original text and retained portion of handwritten text were not displayed, although I'm pretty sure I had not deleted them.
  14. In Windows File Explorer made a copy of the last saved version of the file (at step xi)
  15. Attempted to save the document. Got the error message reported.
  16. Freaked out for a moment (although in the end it wasn't a major calamity, I was more worried by the possible implication of "IO subsystem" that the problem might be in the underlying file-system or hardware IO).
  17. Tried Save As with new file name or new path, but this produced the same error.
  18. Tried Save as Optimized. Hooray! This worked. (Cf. January 2021 forum post, linked below.)
Given that it seemed to save fine most of the way through, and given that most of the steps I do very frequently, if I had to guess I'd say it's more likely related to copying that single page (within the document) and/or deleting most of the handwritten content on the copied page.

I found a couple of other posts on this category of error message:
  • January 2021: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35707&p=148501 [Pdf Structure Library] error possibly caused by 'bloated' layers.
  • October 2021: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=37452&p=154034 [IO subsystem] error possibly caused by copy & paste of stamp.
I doubt that this is easily reproducible, and I will be updating shortly to the new version of PDF-XChange Editor Plus, namely 9.2.357.0 (portable), but nevertheless I thought it was worth recording the issue.

—DIV
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Error [IO subsystem]: End of Data reached

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, DIV

The next time that this happens, can I ask you to send us a copy of the document which it happens with so that we can run some tests? Hopefully it will help us to account for another instance of this issue and fix it as it appears.

The solutions provided in those other threads should certainly help with problems like this, but usually an "End of data reached" error is caused by improper handling of the file by an application. In essence, it quite literally means that the last segment of a PDF document (or section of the document, in some cases), the part which states "this is the end of the file", is missing or corrupt, and so we cannot properly identify where the file data ends to safely modify it.

My usual recommendation is to ensure that apps you are using to modify/edit your PDF files fully adhere to the specification (as those which do are FAR less likely to cause issues like this), avoid the use of online tools which may modify the file in any way (especially free ones, as these rarely understand the Spec, let alone respect it), and ensure that all of those apps you do use are fully updated with the latest security patches and such. This should minimize the likelihood of issues like this occurring in the future.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Error [IO subsystem]: End of Data reached  SOLVED

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi DIV.

The "Error [IO subsystem]: End of Data reached" is fixed in 357 build. Please try it.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Thanks, Daniel, for the explanation & advice.
As mentioned, I'm not confident that it could be reproduced, and so far it was a one-off, but I thought to post it in case others encounter the same thing.

Thanks, Vasyl, for the update. Indeed just yesterday I have installed the latest version (9.2.357.0), so I am glad to hear of another improvement in that new version.
From what I can understand, it was just released on the 18th of October, 2021, so I'm only a week or so 'late' in updating. :-)

...Or maybe I should have waited until today. :roll: Now there's a version 9.2.358.0 available!

—DIV
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello DIV,

There was a small bug in build 357 so it is advisable to install the latest one 9.2.358.0.

Regards.
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Will do!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Error [IO subsystem]: End of Data reached

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com