Filled forms in Document without content  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dschm
User

Filled forms in Document without content  SOLVED

Post by dschm »

Hi,

we have an issue, that an PDF document with filled form fields do not show the content. When we open the document with other viewers, e.g. Acrobat Reader or MS Edge, the content is displayed.
This happens on a Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 with Version 9.1.356.0.
Is there maybe a solution?

Thanks
Dominik
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Filled forms in Document without content

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello dschm,

We released build 357 of the Editor last night, so can you please update and try with it?
If the content is still missing - can you please share a copy of that form with us so that we can investigate further?

Kind regards,
Stefan
dschm
User

Post by dschm »

Hi stefan,

thanks for the answer. I installed the update, but that also did not display the content.
However, I discovered that if the form fields are filled in and saved using MS Edge, the content is not displayed in PDF xChange.
If the form fields are filled in using PDF xChange, Adobe Reader or Firefox, the content is displayed in PDF xChange.
So it is not a problem of PDF xChange and the post can be closed.

Kind regards,
Dominik
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi Dominik,

Even though the problem is not directly related to PDF-XChange Editor itself, it might be interesting for Tracker Support to investigate this further, because you say that the text is visible in other PDF-viewers.

Kind regards.

Willy

ADDENDUM:
After some tests, it seems like you to have to take care where the PDF-form is being saved after the modification. When the PDF is opened externally from Edge, it is saved in the Downloads folder instead of in the original folder. In Microsoft Edge, look into Settings > Cookies and site permissions. At the right, scroll down to "PDF documents" and click. When you turn off "Always download PDF files", you will be able to modify them via Microsoft Edge itself, and they should be saved into their original folder.

Please keep us posted.

If you like to be sure about the modification of your file, then verify its modification date and hour, in Windows File Explorer.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Willy Van Nuffel, Dominik,

It would be interesting indeed to take a look at one such file.
Can we please have a link to such a document or two versions (one before and one after it's been modified in Edge) - so that I can pass those along to our devs for investigation?

Kind regards,
Stefan
dschm
User

Post by dschm »

Hi Stefan,

sorry for my delayed response.
I will provide you a Link (via PM) with the original empty document and versions with modified in Edge, firefox, adobe, etc.

Kind regards,
Dominik
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Dominik,

Thanks for the mail! I got your files and passed them along to a colleague in our dev team for further investigation.

Kind regards,
Stefan