PgDn key can't navigate beyond current page  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JohnCLeBlanc
User

PgDn key can't navigate beyond current page

Post by JohnCLeBlanc »

As far as I can determine, PgDn (page down) will only navigate within a current page. One has to use CTRL-PgDn to navigate to other pages. I was puzzled thinking that I had a single page pdf until I noticed at the bottom of the window that I was on page 1 of many. This is counter-intuitive to me and inefficient for those who like to use keystrokes rather than (or in addition to) mice to navigate. I would like to be able to use a single key to navigate to the next page so one can read easily using a single finger. Can I suggest:
1. Keep the current functions of PgDn & PgUp but add the ability to navigate to the next page when the bottom of the page is reached (as in most other PDF software).
2. Allow the user to remap these shortcuts (e.g., in preferences) so that PgDn can be mapped to what CTRL-PgDn currently does.

Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: PgDn key can't navigate beyond current page

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi,

At my side, the PgUp and PgDn buttons are working correctly for walking through the pages of a PDF.

The only way I am able to reproduce the problem you describe, is when the Ribbon Layout is active (see screenshot).
If so, do you have some particular reason for using this view ? If not, just change to Standard Layout, via the View-ribbon.

More info about (re)mapping keyboard-shortcuts is available at the bottom of this page in the online manual:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/keyboard-shortcuts_ed.html

Kind regards.

Willy
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Standard Layout.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Many thanks for the detailed and helpful reply!

@JohnCLeBlanc - please do let us know if the above helped you!

Kind regards,
Stefan
JohnCLeBlanc
User

Post by JohnCLeBlanc »

Sorry, I guess I didn't have notifications on so I'm just seeing this now.

Yes that solved it! No idea why mine was set to "Ribbon" vs. "Standard" layout. I never saw that setting before. Is that perhaps the software default? Should it be changed?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: PgDn key can't navigate beyond current page  SOLVED

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Good to know that your problem has been solved by setting the Standard Layout back as default.

For as far as I know, the Standard Layout has always been the default with new installations of PDF-XChange Editor.

I have also verified if there are default keyboard shortcuts to switch between Standard- and Ribbon-Layout, but there are none.

So, the reason why the Ribbon Layout was activated in your installation of PDF-XChange Editor is unclear.

But, no worry, normally it will stay in Standard Layout until you should (consciously) change it again.

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

PgDn key can't navigate beyond current page

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com