Showing logical page numbers  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jsampsontheumpteenth
User

Showing logical page numbers

Post by jsampsontheumpteenth »

In PDF-XChange Editor Plus v 9.1, the page number of the document on display is shown in a "ribbon", or whatever it is called, at the bottom of the window. I know that it is possible to display the absolute page number here, or else the "logical" page number where Page 1 is the the first page after the prelims. I believe there is a way to do this, but searching documentation has failed to reveal it, or the info is misleading, so I have to ask. How is it done?
Ovg
User

Re: Showing logical page numbers  SOLVED

Post by Ovg »

image.png
:?:
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
jsampsontheumpteenth
User

Re: Showing logical page numbers

Post by jsampsontheumpteenth »

Thanks for showing me the route.
Regards
John Sampson
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

You're welcome! :-)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Showing logical page numbers

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Ovg wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 amImage
How I miss the previous user interface design with its subtle shadows and slightly curved 3D faces already!

PDF-XChange Editor truly had the most beautiful program interface of any software, ever -- until it was decided to start going for the flat design philosophy.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/flat-ui-less-attention-cause-uncertainty#:~:text=Flat UI Elements Attract Less Attention and Cause Uncertainty

Dear Tracker Team, please think about reverting this unfortunate decision, or at least allow the user to choose between the flat and classic design in the settings.

The below screenshot comparisons also show that even the previous design is fully themeable -- so there really should be no technical reason for having to switch to a simplified flat design in conjunction with themeability.

Thank you.
--

Preferences dialog:

Customize dialog:

Context menu entry:

Search dialog:

Close dialog:
Last edited by David.P on Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, David.P

The changes made to the UI were intentional, and I am unsure if all the new functions will be compatible with the old UI appearance, but I can forward this request to our UI developers to see if it is a possibility for you. Just be warned that I cannot make any promises that we will see this change back or offered as an option.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

2David.P
Excellent examples and comparison!!!

David.P wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 pm Dear Tracker Team, please think about reverting this unfortunate decision once more, or make the new flat user interface into a user setting.
Thank you.
Support++
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

+1

Back on October 27th, Paul and I discussed a "classic theme" in another thread (Tabs in version 357.0). I had hoped given some time the changes made to the UI, especially the tab underline and scroll bars, might grow on me a little. 10 days have now gone by and I realize no amount of time is going to make that happen.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

all these point made about the UI are being taken into consideration, even if it is not immediately obvious. The development cycle is such that even if the Editor Dev team decide to implement a number of these suggestions, they are not going to be released right away. These changes would be added to the source code and seen next release.

That could be months away, or if something like a security issue is discovered that prompts an early release then you might see those features then. Other than that however I would suggest it is a case of "have the discussions, make your requests, and see what comes".

I cannot say what will or will not be delivered, at the end of the day it is at the development team's discretion what gets implement and when.

I hope that gives some insight into how this works.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com