Dynamic tab sizes,"real" page numbering and more

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Albigon
User

Dynamic tab sizes,"real" page numbering and more

Post by Albigon »

Hi, I just switched from Foxit to PDF X-Change and I'm in love with all the customisation options available.
However, there are some very basic features which would be great to have there.
First of all, I don't like that the tab sizes in PDF X-Change actually depends on the length of the file name, it actually bothers me a lot if I am reading several files and some of them have either ridiculous long or short names. For example, I'm reading these documents right now, do you see what I mean?
image.png
For comparison, that is how they look if I open them with Foxit
image1.png
So, I think the ideal solution would be to let us change between dynamic tab sizes and fixed tab sizes such as in Foxit (it would be even greater if we can adjust them)

My second request is the following (I'm almost certain others should have complained about this already).
I mostly read vector PDF books with a lot of bookmarks and stuff, so let's say I want to go to the page 82 of a book which I know well. This is where I'd want to go
image2.png
But instead, this is where it takes me if I put "82" in the page box
image3.png
For comparison, Foxit actually takes me to the intended page (I presume Acrobat and others do that as well)
image4.png
This is due to the fact that a lot of books don't always start with page "1", they even have "cover", roman numberings and that all. As you can see here, Foxit can actually detect between the numbering of the document and that of the book itself. This is a very basic feature every PDF visor should have.
image.png
Finally, I have a third request concerning the page box. We all can agree that if one clicks on the page box it is because we want to type some page where we want to be taken, right? But instead, we have to DELETE the current page number, and THEN, type the actual page we want. Why not make it so that after we click the page number, we just type the destination page? I'm aware that we can trigger that by double-clicking the box, but I think this is what everyone always want to do (this should be the default behavior)
Moreover, let's say I made a mistake and put 83 in the box instead of 82, this is an instance where it be handy to just click the box once and change the 3 in 83 for a 2 so that it becomes 82. Why not put a little tab showing the pages so that it can be easily changed with a pair of mouse clicks? (Again, look at the previous Foxit capture)

I'm sorry if I am constantly using Foxit PhantomPDF as a gold standard, I just think that it was very well crafted (not anymore since it recently changed its interface completely). I haven't used Acrobat in years, but I think it does all of that stuff too, and I believe a lot of others do since all visors and editors take inspiration from Acrobat one way or another.

Regards
lev
User

Re: Dynamic tab sizes,"real" page numbering and more

Post by lev »

For tab sizes go to Preferences->General->Tabs and Windows and click on Setup.
image.png
For page numbering try Preferences->Page Display
image1.png
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Questions 1 and 2 answered by lev.

Question 3:
Please try the "Go to page"-command.
- You can get its dialog-box by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+N, and/or
- You can add the command to one of the ribbons, by right-clicking whatever ribbon, followed by "Customize Toolbars..." > Commands (tab) and then drag-and-drop the "Go to page"-command from the list to the desired ribbon and position.

Kind regards and keep us posted.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,

It has been a while since the last post, I just wanted to check and see if Willy's answer for question #3 helped? It seems like it did :)

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com