Line spacing for Typewriter: default option for "Multiple"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DIV
User

Line spacing for Typewriter: default option for "Multiple"

Post by DIV »

There is already functionality to adjust the line spacing for Typewriter text comments/annotations.
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=34020&p=141089&hilit=line+spacing#p141089

While editing the comment text, access by either
(1) navigating through
Format > Text format > Line spacing presets > Paragraph... > Spacing and setting Line spacing = Multiple.
or
(2) viewing the Properties pane.

Like other users on the above discussion I more often want to condense the line spacing, to cram a comment into a small space.
Currently the user experience to achieve that is less convenient than to increase the line spacing.

In the first option there are common defaults for (say) double spacing, but to decrease the spacing "Multiple" must be set.
Then always the initial spacing that comes up is ×3.00! I find this irksome. I suggest that a more logical approach would be to have the initial spacing, upon choosing Multiple, set to the value of the current spacing.
In other words, if the spacing is currently single-spaced, then upon choosing Multiple it should show ×1.00.

In the second option there is a drop-down list at
Text properties > Paragraph > Line spacing.
The multiplicative options are for single spacing or to increase the spacing. This may make the user think that there is no ability in the Properties pane to specify a condensed line spacing.
But actually there is a way to specify a condensed line spacing in the Properties pane! The reason is that the field is not (only) a drop-down list, but also an arbitrarily editable text field. Manually typing "0.85 x", say, actually seems to work.
I'm glad to have discovered this, but not sure how obvious it will be to all users.

Maybe it'd be worthwhile including just one pre-specified condensed line spacing on the drop-down lists, for convenience? I would suggest one of 0.75, 0.80, 0.85 or 0.90. (Less than 0.75 is likely to produce overlap; more than 0.90 will be barely different from ordinary single line spacing.)

—DIV
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Line spacing for Typewriter: default option for "Multiple"

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi DIV,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, this may have been improved since your post, but in the text box you can highlight all the text and then right-click and choose paragraph, here you can change the line spacing to Multiple and set it less than 1 with the At:field.
line_space1.png
Click OK, then right-click the highlighted text and select Text Style->Make Current Text Format Default to set the line spacing for all future text boxes.
line_space2.png
Hope that helps
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Hello, Chris.

Exactly the same irritation exists in the method you describe, using version 9.2 (build 358).

Change the line spacing to Multiple, and automatically the number shown in the "At" box is 3.00. This is totally illogical to me when I start with single-spaced text.
My original gripe was not that the line spacing couldn't be condensed; the issue was/is that the procedure was/is needlessly awkward.

—DIV
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, DIV

So, Unless I am mistaken, your original complaints have been addressed with the addition of this option?
image.png
Simply select the text in the dropdown here an you can type any custom value you would like, just as many of our dropdown menus allow you to do.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com