Problem when opening a PDF file within other programs

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Petrocelli99
User

Post by Petrocelli99 »

Hello,

I have a problem with opening PDF files within other programmes (e.g. a craftsman programme).
First I always got an error message, then I changed the settings for file association and now the files are always opened externally.
Resetting the settings did not help either.

What are the settings "File allocation" and "Start applications" for?

Adobe Reader, for example, is stored in "Start applications".

How do I have to set the programme so that it also works internally with our craftsman programme?

Greetings,
Petro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Problem when opening a PDF file within other programs

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Petro,

I am afraid that we can't really help much with other software products!
If that other software uses an IE based window in which it can open pages and PDF files - then we have a plug-in for IE that might be used, and could potentially display your PDFs inside your other application - but that would depend on the other software, and not on our products directly.
If you've made changes to it's preferences - then please search those same preferences once again - and see if there are other options to force it back to displaying PDFs inside your tool. But then again - that is up to this other software, and does not really leave much room for us to assist with!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Petrocelli99
User

Post by Petrocelli99 »

Hello Stefan,

then i would like to test it with the plugin. where do i find that?

It would also help if you could give me a small explanation of the individual points of the two settings "File allocation" and "Start applications".

I think it is somehow related to this, but I don't really understand the effect of these settings.

I have already reset the settings and then tried again, but that didn't work.

Kind regards,
Petro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Petrocelli99,

Just download and install an instance of the end user Editor. It will install the necessary plug-ins and then if your application can call and use those - it will do so automatically.

But once again - from your description it would seem like your third party software was using some PDF tool in the past and this is no longer working. I am not sure our plug-in would be able to replace that. What's the name of the software and do the have some screenshots (e.g. on their product pages) where they show PDF previews?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Petrocelli99
User

Post by Petrocelli99 »

Hello Stefan,

Our craftsman software is this: https://www.kwpsoftware.de/

A long time ago we had the problem that when opening the PDFs in the software, error messages appeared and the PDFs were blocked. It was then no longer possible to scroll.
The software company tried it out for a long time and then switched back to Adobe Reader for the internal views. Then it worked for quite a while with Adobe internally and PDF-Xchange externally. Now I have updated the PDF-Xchange to the latest version and since then the error messages have reappeared and the files were blocked again. The status now was that the PDFs were opened in the PDF-Xchange, but not in the intended software window, but the file was opened externally in the PDF-Xchange.

I have now activated the two plug-ins in IE according to the instructions and deactivated the Adobe Reader plug-in. And I tried again with the file association settings.

Some of these settings seem to make it work again. I would just like to know which one, so that we don't have this problem again with every update.
But not in another part of the programme, where this error message appears (see picture, German):
Screenshot 2021-08-13 220635.jpg
Kind regards,
Petro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Petrocelli99

I am unsure if there is much we can offer in this case. Though we offer an IE plugin, which allows our software to run within an Ie window (and most apps which make direct use of that frame) issues that arise with that setup in a third party app, which are not also present in IE itself, are beyond our control. You will need to look into the KWP software itself to troubleshoot this further.

Looking at the error message, from what little i can see, there appears to be an error in the KWP system itself, and how it is making use of an email function it offers. So this may even be entirely unrelated to our software in any way. If you have not already, do ensure that ALL facets of software being used (our Editor, the KWP software, and Windows itself) are as fully up to date as possible, and then restart the PC. After that, try again to see if that improves the situation.

If after an in depth investigation on the KWP side, they can determine that the issue is no fault of theirs, please send us any notes they can give you about their findings, and save a text file containing the full length error report you sent us a screenshot of earlier. With that we can take a look and see if there may be anything that we can offer.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Petrocelli99
User

Post by Petrocelli99 »

Hello Daniel,

KWP has already tried everything possible here several times, but has not found a solution. Of course, they now recommend using Adobe Reader. But we don't want to do that, because we are very satisfied with PDFXchange.

Everything is actually up to date. I have attached the complete error message. Perhaps there are still new findings.
Fehlermeldung_ScanImport.pdf
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Petrocelli99

Thank you For this export. Our dev team has asked if it would be possible for us to have a copy of this "KWP" application you are using, so that we can test with it locally, and try to reproduce this issue? If that would be possible, please email us via support@pdf-xchange.com to continue this discussion.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Petrocelli99
User

Post by Petrocelli99 »

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the offer. Unfortunately, this is not possible, as this is a complete craftsmen's software that runs with an SQL database and of course also with corresponding licences.

Kind regards,
Petro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Petrocelli99

In that case, you could try using process explorer <https://docs.microsoft.com/uk-ua/sysint ... s-explorer> to find out which application is blocking the PDF files from use. It will not give us much to work with, but it may help to identify the cause of the problem, and is better than having nothing.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Petrocelli99
User

Post by Petrocelli99 »

Hello Daniel,

I'll try that. I'm on holiday for 2 weeks, then I'll give you feedback.

Kind regards,
Petro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Petrocelli99
User

Post by Petrocelli99 »

Hello Daniel,

I have run the Process Explorer. But I don't see any reaction in Process Explorer when I access the PDFs.

Kind regards
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Petrocelli99

If process explorer is not able to identify what is the cause of the issue, I am afraid that our hands are tied here and there likely will not be anything that can be done from our end to resolve this.

My apologies for the inconvenience, and kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com