Opening pdf in a specific monitor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

igorlima
User

Opening pdf in a specific monitor

Post by igorlima »

Hello!

I have two monitors. One is my main one and the other is the secondary one.

Is it possible to program a specific pdf file to open only in my main monitor, even if I have pdf's already opened in my second monitor? Through a java script or something?

Capturar 2.PNG

I see that a similar question was already asked and, unfortunately, received a negative answer here
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32151&p=131315&hilit=monitor+specific#p131315

My question is specific to changing something in the "Document Properties" of the pdf to "force" that file to open only in my main monitor.

Is that possible in any form? Can a java script do that?

Thank you for your attention! :D
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Opening pdf in a specific monitor

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello igorlima,

I am afraid that this is still not possible!
Also - this is a preference that you want to store inside the file that is actually application and not file specific (you want the application to know and open this file on monitor X), and there are no provisions in the PDF specification for a PDF file to store this type of info in itself.

Kind regards,
Stefan
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:57 am Hello igorlima,

I am afraid that this is still not possible!
Also - this is a preference that you want to store inside the file that is actually application and not file specific (you want the application to know and open this file on monitor X), and there are no provisions in the PDF specification for a PDF file to store this type of info in itself.

Kind regards,
Stefan
I see :(

But thank you for the response and clarification!

There is a chance that this functionality could be added in the future through a feature request?
Igor
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, igorlima

Unfortunately, as Stefan mentioned, there is no grounds for this within the PDF specification. This means that it would not be possible for us to offer something like this in any capacity without providing a proprietary way of handing it, that no other application would understand, and could result in damage to your documents.

As such, unless the PDF specification (which we do not create or control in any capacity) changes to allow this, it will not be possible.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:06 pm Hi, igorlima

Unfortunately, as Stefan mentioned, there is no grounds for this within the PDF specification. This means that it would not be possible for us to offer something like this in any capacity without providing a proprietary way of handing it, that no other application would understand, and could result in damage to your documents.

As such, unless the PDF specification (which we do not create or control in any capacity) changes to allow this, it will not be possible.

Kind regards,
I see, thank you for the response Daniel. And how about a functionality in the pdf Xchange program itself and not in the pdf specifications?
Igor
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, igorlima

No, like before, the only way to offer a document specific solution to this, would be to embed something into the document, as Stefan suggested, which would be proprietary and unrecognized by other applications (in turn breaking the PDF specification).

Were we to offer something like this, we would need to break the spec, and implement something that could quite likely cause other applications to misunderstand the intent of the file, and in turn damage or corrupt its content when opening/saving the file.

It may be possible to implement an option for the editor to always open the main application window to specific coordinates on a certain monitor, but there would be no way to make that document specific.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:44 pm It may be possible to implement an option for the editor to always open the main application window to specific coordinates on a certain monitor
Kind regards,
The rest (open the main application window to specific coordinates on a certain monitor for specific file) easily can be done with cmd file оr script file (AHK or VBS)
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Ovg,

Thanks for your suggestion!

Kind regards,
Stefan
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:44 pm Hi, igorlima

No, like before, the only way to offer a document specific solution to this, would be to embed something into the document, as Stefan suggested, which would be proprietary and unrecognized by other applications (in turn breaking the PDF specification).

Were we to offer something like this, we would need to break the spec, and implement something that could quite likely cause other applications to misunderstand the intent of the file, and in turn damage or corrupt its content when opening/saving the file.

It may be possible to implement an option for the editor to always open the main application window to specific coordinates on a certain monitor, but there would be no way to make that document specific.

Kind regards,
I see, thank you for the clarification!
Ovg wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:11 am The rest (open the main application window to specific coordinates on a certain monitor for specific file) easily can be done with cmd file оr script file (AHK or VBS)
Thank you very much for the suggestion, Ovg!
Igor
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

I have a working prototype, waiting for that option from Tracker Software :wink: :mrgreen:
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

Ovg wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:23 am I have a working prototype, waiting for that option from Tracker Software :wink: :mrgreen:
That's really cool! Could you show how you do that, please? :D I don't know how to use scripts :(
Igor
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

I answered to you by the email
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Ovg,

Thanks for sharing your solution with Igor Lima!

Kind regards,
Stefan