PDF's download as HTML file

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

t_trainer
User

PDF's download as HTML file

Post by t_trainer »

I have been trying to solve this issue for days with no luck. We are using version 9.1.3.55 but have had this issue for a number of months. We utilize a website where we download PDF documents in order to save them into our management system. The trouble is that the files will download as HTML files rather than PDF's. I loaded another vendors software (SODA) and were able to download the files as PDF's, it is only when setting PDF X-Change as the default program that the trouble begins. We have multiple licenses and actually just renewed and would hate to have to switch to a different program now.
screenshot.JPG
screenshot.JPG (16.72 KiB) Viewed 336 times
I have attached a screenshot for reference. The file shows as a PDF, we click on the link and the HTML file is downloaded. I have toggled the PDF download option in Chrome setting on and off numerous times, toggled PDF X-Change to NOT open or open items in the browser, again with no luck.

I am hoping you can shed some light on the issue and resolution.

Thank you
Ken G
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PDF's download as HTML file

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Ken

The default PDF application should not have any way whatsoever to impact the file extension of a downloaded document, and likewise, it should be quite impossible for what you have described here to occur normally.

In order to help troubleshoot, I am going to first need a way to reproduce this issue. Is it possible for me to access the site which you are using when you encounter this issue, or otherwise, have you found any other websites which offer a (normally) PDF download that do the same thing?

If I can access this site, please send us a link to do so (you can send it by email to support@pdf-xchange.com if there may be semi-confidential information therein). It would also help to have a video/gif recording of the issue, so that we can observe what happens on your end.

If it is not possible for us to access this site, than please do confirm if any other websites offering a PDF download have the same issue of "converting" the file to another format. As a test I have uploaded a PDF file here:
Download test.pdf
(5.95 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Finally, I do notice that you are running an older build. Though that should not have an impact on this issue, I would recommend that you update when possible.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
t_trainer
User

Post by t_trainer »

Screen recording and additional info sent via email
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, all

I wanted to make a public note here, we have resolve the issue, but it is not a process I can comfortable explain on our public forums. If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please do the following:

1. Look at this article (it appears this issue is most commonly caused by the web browser, and even adobe is affected), and confirm that you are not experiencing this facet of the issue instead: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat- ... -p/8881845

2. If that is not the case, please Email us via support@pdf-xchange.com, so that we can go over other solutions with you.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com