Bug: path rendering errors

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

eleigh
User

Bug: path rendering errors

Post by eleigh »

Version 9.1 build 356

I've just noticed that the PDF output from a Word document, using the Word add-in, is mangling the logo. This is an embedded EPS with fonts rendered as outlines. The PDF contains very visible path rendering errors, which you can see in the attached PDF file (Word file also included). I am using the Default Settings profile in the Word add-in.
PDF-XChange.zip
(26.49 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
eleigh
User

Re: Bug: path rendering errors

Post by eleigh »

It seems that this bug is related to the PDF "Graphic resolution" setting on the "Paper" tab. The lower the resolution, the more mangled the logo. At a setting of 1200dpi looks fine.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, eleigh

I am afraid that I do not see the issue you are detailing here, from your description It sounds similar to another issue I have seen recently that is dependant on zoom level, but even with varying zoom levels i could not reproduce it. In both the PDF and the Word document on my end, this document looks perfectly fine:
image.png
Could I ask you to include screenshots of what you are seeing, so that we can help troubleshoot further?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
eleigh
User

Post by eleigh »

You need to zoom in close to see the rendering glitches. This is how the PDF looks like – when viewed in PDF-Xchange or Adobe Acrobat:
Mangled logo.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello eleigh,

When you use the add-in inside Word - it relies on Work doing some preparation of the initial content before passing it to us for conversion to PDF. And as you've noticed - the Graphics resolution does have an effect.

Please try to instead directly drag and drop the .docx file over the Editor - and this time the conversion won't depend on resolution and the result would be ideal:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
eleigh
User

Post by eleigh »

Although that is a viable workaround, it is suboptimal for two reasons:
  1. There is no access to the detailed configuration settings for downsampling and compressing images
  2. The output lacks a table of contents, so I still have to create a PDF using the Word add-in, and then copy the ToC between the two PDFs
This is covered in more detail in this thread:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=35965&p=152827

I really want a Word add-in that produces a customisable, high-quality output in just one step!
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

It is not a driver issue, but Word.
This logo is printer as a vector, and the driver does not optimize or 'compress' coordinates - it just produces a PDF file with the input data it gets.
I believe that the root of the problem is because all coordinates in GDI are integers and the lower resolution is the bigger rounding errors will be visible. But please note, rounding error is not on the PDF-XChange driver side, because it already receives rounded values.

So the only solution I see is to set DPI to at least 1200 in the driver (or add-in). In many cases, it may even reduce file size.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.