Center on undo or moving of annotations

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Zarquan314
User

Post by Zarquan314 »

I've been using PDF-XChange Editor to mark papers. I often use Undo to undo writing and I often paste comments from one paper to another if they make the same or similar error. I then move the comment to the right position.

Unfortunately, I sometimes undo one too many penstrokes without meaning to. Since the screen doesn't move to where the annotation I just undo'ed, I don't notice and sometimes I undo something important like the for the question.

Additionally, I find the best way to not mess up moving annotations around is with the arrow keys. Unfortunately, the screen doesn't scroll when I move the annotation out of view. This one is just mildly annoying, but I think it is the same problem.

Is there a way to make it so that my screen moves to where the changes are happening?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Center on undo or moving of annotations

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Zarquan314

Currently we do not offer a method to accomplish this, but it does seem like something that would be immensely useful to some people, as such I am creating a formal feature request for this matter. Though internal only, you can ask any member of our support team here about the following ticket number, for updates on its progress.

RT#5680: FR: move "view" area to follow selection/changes.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

+1
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

great that this has been made into an official ticket.

I only was going to mention once more what is written in the first part of the title, i.e. "center on undo", because I was not sure whether this has been fully recorded as well.

In my view, what this means is that when undoing any edits to an element in a PDF document, the document should always jump back to make the element visible (be it base content or comments) on which a change just has been undone (or re-done, respectively).

This is particularly helpful when undoing several consecutive edits that however are at (totally) different parts, or pages, of the document. Without "center on undo", it sometimes can be hard to make sure that the correct step actually has been undone.

Microsoft Word, for example, always jumps around in the document such that every editing step that has been undone (or re-done, respectively) is visible on screen.

This is what I believe is the meaning of "center on undo", and what should be part of this feature request or ticket, respectively.

Thank you
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, David.P

Worry not, I made quite sure to specify that "undo" is classified as a "change" and that the selected object which has been changed due to any actions, including an undo, should be included as part of this request.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
DIV
User

Re: Center on undo or moving of annotations — RFE: restore view of Typewriter cursor when typing resumes.

Post by DIV »

Please excuse me if I am piggybacking on this request*, but there is something kind of similar that I've noticed (and can also be contrasted with Word processing applications).

RFE: restore view of Typewriter cursor when typing resumes

Consider the following scenario:
  1. Open a PDF document with many pages.
  2. Go through the document adding various comments using the Typewriter tool (say)
  3. On some arbitrary page you want to add a comment that relates also to content on another page. As a concrete example, suppose you're on page 21 and want to add a comment that the information given there, indicating an increase of 34%, is different from that in Table 7 on page 13, which indicates a decrease of 43%.
  4. You start off writing the comment, "Here it says 'increases by 34%', but Table". And then you realise that you need to check what the table number was, and what percentage it stated, and what page it was on.
  5. You scroll around (or maybe do a search), and eventually land on page 13, where you note the relevant details.
  6. You try to start typing the rest of the comment " 7 (p. 13) says 'decreases by 43%." But as you type, unlike common Word processing applications, the page view doesn't automatically shift to where the cursor is when you start/resume typing. This leaves you with two options:
    1. Just try to type blindly. If you type like me, it will end up as " 7 (p. 13) sys decreases by 43%." — maybe not too bad, but not great either.
    2. Try to scroll back to the comment's location (i.e. the cursor's location). Unfortunately I've found that it's not very easy to find that location by scrolling unless you remember quite well where the comment was. (It's probably a bit easier if you go through the document once, progressively commenting from start to finish. However, I sometimes go back to an already commented document and add new comments.)
Thanks,
DIV

* Feel free to move this post to a new thread if you think it's not so related to the OP's issue.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, DIV

That does seem strikingly similar to this topic, and should certainly be included in this ticket. The way you have formatted that title looks like something that is already a feature request, could I ask if another member of our support team has already given you a ticket number on that item, or if this is a brand new request?
(If it would be a new request, we can leave it as is, but if there is already a ticket, I would like to know the number so that I can create an association between the two)

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

No, Daniel, there's no existing ticket.
It's my new strategy for keeping track of my posts: repeat some/all of the OP's subject, and add extra information if relevant.
Sorry if it looked confusing!
So I guess my request would either be a 'new' request, or would be an add-on to the OP's request in this thread.
—DIV
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, DIV

No worries, Instead of making a new ticket, I appended it to the existing ticket discussed earlier in this thread:

RT#5680: FR: move "view" area to follow selection/changes.

"Editing text" should reasonably be counted as "changes" to the document, so it will be part of this same FR.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com