PDF-XChange 9.1.365: Characters not on same line after zoom (Regression)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Raysy
User

PDF-XChange 9.1.365: Characters not on same line after zoom (Regression)

Post by Raysy »

I use PDF-XChange Editior 9.1.365.
When I open some PDFs and zoom in, characters are not on the same line. Only a specific font is affected and the issue only appears at a specific range of zoom factors.

There are several fonts in the problematic PDFs, but only the font "LyonText-Regular" seems affected.

Issue only appears with Zoom factor between 258 % and 340 % (on my machine).

My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080.

The problematic PDFs are created with "Creo Normalizer JTP".

I attached screenshots and one extracted page.

lI have PDF Xchange Viewer 2.5 from 2013 around. Version 2.5 does not have this issue, so this must be a regression.
Attachments
characters not on the same line.pdf
(162.43 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
PDF - characters not on the same line - PDF-XChange Editor.pdf
(642.75 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange 9.1.365: Characters not on same line after zoom (Regression)

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Raysy

Thank you for the email, I have reproduced this issue in the Editor, and created a formal bug report on this matter. The ticket is internal only, and as a minor visual bug, this will have a lower priority than most, so I cannot promise a swift resolution for you. If you wish to ask for progress updates in the future, simply mention this ticket number to any member of our support team:

RT#5678: Text misalignment in Editor, Looks fine in Viewer.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange 9.1.365: Characters not on same line after zoom (Regression)

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The issue is caused by the hinting process with this font (the Viewer had no hinting at all).
And the issue is not unique to the Editor -- Adobe Acrobat has the same issue. Here is a screenshot from Acrobat on 200% scale (with 144 dpi):
image.png
As a workaround, for now, you can disable text hinting (Preferences -> Page Display -> Rendering -> Text Hinting). For the next build, we will add this font to the exclusion list to disable hinting regardless of the Editor's preferences.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.