Editor crashes after dragging Thumbnails into Bookmarks pane

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Forum and Tracker Support Team,

for some time I have been observing that PDF-XChange Editor crashes after performing the following steps, which admittedly resemble a somewhat advanced workflow of moving pages -- that however can be incredibly useful for large PDF's.

1. Grab a PDF with multiple pages and multiple bookmarks, for example the attached e-book
  2. Activate both Bookmarks and Thumbnails Pane in PDF-XChange Editor
  3. Select pages 3 and 4 (orange) in the Thumbnails Pane in order to move these pages between pages 8 and 9 (blue)
  4. Drag the (orange) thumbnails of p. 3 and 4 between the bookmarks "C" and "D" in order to move and insert pages 3 and 4 above page 9
  5. PDF-XChange Editor will automatically create an empty bookmark named "Untitled" between bookmarks "C" and "D"
  6. Drag the bookmarks "A" and "B, which are associated with the moved (orange) pages, above or below the "Untitled" bookmark, thus also between bookmarks "C" and "D
  7. Delete the "Untitled"-Bookmark
A few seconds later PDF-XChange Editor crashes.

Unfortunately this does not seem to happen with the attached PDF, probably this document is too simple in structure. However, it happens to me regularly with longer and larger PDFs.

The issue has been occurring since the awesome feature "drag documents between bookmarks" was introduced (which is still unique in the whole market):
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24391#p95550

Maybe you can try the above steps on a rather complex and large PDF, and possibly reproduce the crash.

Thanks very much
Kind regards
David

David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Editor crashes after dragging Thumbnails into Bookmarks pane

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, David.P

I have tested this with both your document, and a few others which I have locally, but could not finish the process as your steps involve an action which the current release of the Editor will not allow. Namely, it is quite impossible to drag page thumbnails between their own already existing page ranges in the bookmarks tab (see attached Gif):
a6kKWWYjdk.gif
As I was unable to even complete your steps (being stuck on step 4) within the latest release, I need to ask that you verify you are running the same. We are now in version 9.1, build 356.0. If you are not running that version, please try updating now.

If the issue persists, please make a short Gif or Video for us to observe the steps you are taking, and I will test with some larger documents.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Stefan, will do so and come back to you asap
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David.P,

It was Dan who posted above! :) But please do try his suggestions, and if you still can reproduce - get that gif or video so that we can understand the use case better!

Kind regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Oops sorry Stefan and Dan -- for me having created name confusion here.

Will do as Dan suggested, and come back with more information.

Best regards
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

I noticed some ambiguities and at least one typo in my above instructions, which is why I'm posting an amended version below.

1. Grab a PDF with multiple pages and multiple bookmarks, for example the attached e-book
  2. Activate both the Bookmarks Pane and the Thumbnails Pane in PDF-XChange Editor
  3. In the case of the attached e-book, select pages 2 and 3 (orange) in the Thumbnails Pane
  4. Drag the (orange) thumbnails of p. 2 and 3 between the (blue) bookmarks "C" and "D" in order to move pages 2 and 3 between pages 8 and 9
  5. PDF-XChange Editor will move the orange pages between the blue pages and automatically create an empty bookmark named "Untitled" between the blue bookmarks "C" and "D"
  6. Drag the (orange) bookmarks "A" and "B, which are associated with the moved (orange) pages, above or below the "Untitled" bookmark, thus also between the blue bookmarks "C" and "D
  7. Delete the "Untitled"-Bookmark
Sometimes when doing so, a few seconds later PDF-XChange Editor will crash.

I have observed that shortly before crashing, the text of the bookmarks that have been moved can be disappearing completely (while the bookmarks themselves remain visible). Undoing the moving of the bookmarks and/or pages doesn't work either when this happens. PDF-XChange Editor will still crash shortly after.

Thanks for occasionally looking into this.

Kind regards
David

David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, David.P

Thank you for the added clarification. Even working with your sample file and following these steps to a tee, neither myself, nor any of my coworkers, who I asked to run a few tests have been able to reproduce this as of yet. For this reason, after consulting with the Dev team, we would like to ask that you follow the steps here to setup crash logging, and send us a copy of the crash dump that is generated when you reproduce this crash.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... estigation

Thank you kindly!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Daniel,

I just wanted to let you know that the problem has not reappeared recently. Whatever the reason may have been back then, appears to have disappeared in the meantime. If the problem should occur again, I will of course report back.

Kind regards,
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

Thank you for the update, I will keep an eye out for any future replies from you here then.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com