My fronts are display weirdly on web browsers

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Feelda
User

My fronts are display weirdly on web browsers

Post by Feelda »

Hi,

I'm reaching out to you because I encounter a problem with the text I type with PDF X CHANGE EDITOR : it displays weirdly on web browsers (when my PDF is previewed or opened with a web browser)...

It happens when I create new text with the "typewritter" as well as when I use the "edit text" option.

Please find attached 2 examples, showing the text displaying normally with adobe acrobat reader or pdf x change, and then weirdly when previewed or opened with a web browser.

Is there a way to modify this ? My clients noticed it when signing agreements I prepared for them...

Example 1 :
What I see on firefox
On firefox.PNG
On firefox.PNG (1.58 KiB) Viewed 649 times

What I see on adobe
On Adobe.PNG
On Adobe.PNG (2.83 KiB) Viewed 649 times

Example 2 :

What I see on firefox
On firefox 2.PNG
On firefox 2.PNG (3.67 KiB) Viewed 649 times

What I see on adobe
On Adobe2.PNG
Thanks for your help !
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: My fronts are display weirdly on web browsers

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Feelda

thanks for the post and detailed explanation. It is hard to say exactly without seeing the PDF in question, but this could be a problem with replacement font by the Mozilla Team.

If a font in a PDF is not available on a user's system, it gets replaced with what the PDF rendering application "thinks" is the nearest equivalent. The first thing I would suggest you do is try embedding these fonts into the PDF itself. That makes them available to anyone opening the document and font replacement is not necessary. It does increase file size slightly.

How are you creating the file? Our PDF-XChange Standard Printer can embed fonts when creating PDFs, and while the Editor cannot yet (it is coming) the Editor can save as PDF/A which is an archiving standard and requires the fonts to be embedded. I am keen to hear how your document looks in Firefox when it is a PDF/A. It's is available when using Save As:
image.png
If that does not help, please send us the file.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Feelda
User

Post by Feelda »

Hi Paul,

Saving as a PDF/A worked. Thanks. Do I risk loosing info/functionalities by saving as a PDF/A ?

All the best
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Feelda,

On the contrary - when you force a file to be saved as PDF/A - this forces all the fonts used in the document to be embedded in it - so that the PDF/A File has more information than the original (and this ensures that those fonts will display correctly on the recipient's machine).

Kind regards,
Stefan
Feelda
User

Post by Feelda »

Hello Stefan,

Yes, maybe...but after a quick check, I realized that converting to PDF/A was seriously messing with my forms...so I cannot really use that option.

Kind regards,
Feelda
User

Post by Feelda »

...and sadly, some of my documents won't convert, showing this error :
image.png

image1.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Feelda,

please try to download and install a different version of the Calibri font - as it does seem like your current one might have some issues. Then try converting again and see if that helps!

Please note that if you get the PDF/A file to look weird - then this means that the font that was embedded in it is at fault, and you might need to get a newer version of those other fonts as well.

Kind regards,
Stefan