Is there any way to merge all the text on a page into a single editable block?  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lindermman
User

Is there any way to merge all the text on a page into a single editable block?

Post by lindermman »

Hi, again! :oops: :oops:

Is there any way to merge all the text on a page into a single editable block?
I don't know how to explain this better, but I am referring to the boxes where the texts of the PDF file are stored, when text editing is activated. Me
I often receive files from my teachers where the texts are separated into blocks by paragraphs or even by lines.
I know it is possible to merge by approximation of blocks, but in files with many pages or even with few pages, but also when it is separated in many blocks, this is a lot of work. So, it would be nice to be able to select, on each page, which blocks you want to unify. But if it is possible to just unify all the text of the pages into one (per page), that's fine.

Thanks!
lindermman
User

Re: Is there any way to merge all the text on a page into a single editable block?

Post by lindermman »

Here is one file I´ m trying to merge text edition boxes:
https://www.sefanet.pr.gov.br/dados/SEFADOCUMENTOS/106201707871.pdf
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Is there any way to merge all the text on a page into a single editable block?

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi lindermman,

thanks for the post and sample. I do not expect to be able to do this, but I am not the expert on what is happening "under the hood" so to speak. PDFs are not linear, they are entirely coordinate based, I believe combining text blocks would likely involve creating relationships between the elements that may not be possible.

I do not want to speak out of turn however, so I am asking for confirmation/clarification from one of the devs who will be here later today.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Is there any way to merge all the text on a page into a single editable block?  SOLVED

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

So, glad I asked,

despite the challenges involved, and there are MANY, we are working on something like this. It is a long term item, it certainly will not be in the next build or two, but we are planning on improving the way the editing text blocks works, and even potentially creating some of those relationships such that text can flow from one box to another.

This is extremely challenging, so I would ask for your patience in this. Compare how our editing text as blocks works as compared to the major competition, and in my honest opinion, we are already ahead of the curve with our editing.

The best is yet to come. :-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Thank you, man! Thanks a lot!!!! :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:55 pm
This is extremely challenging, so I would ask for your patience in this. Compare how our editing text as blocks works as compared to the major competition, and in my honest opinion, we are already ahead of the curve with our editing.

The best is yet to come. :-)

I'm glad I read this. Indeed the edit function of xchange, although I would like that some aspects could be improved, is better than others pdf readers. Having in mind that it must not be an easy task, I'm really excited you have plans on improving that functionality since its a really important one to me! Cheers! :D
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello igorlima,

Thanks for your kind words!

We are indeed working on further improving this!

Kind regards,
Stefan