9.1.355 - font change not working

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Hi!

Sorry for my horrible English! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I upgraded yesterday. Everything was working fine.
But today, with the new version, changing fonts hasn't worked very well. The program simply ignores the change. It is necessary to save, close and reopen the file for the font change to work. Both in text blocks from the PDF file itself, as well as from the typewriter.
The important thing is that this happens in the same files that I already used in the previous version of the program, and this problem didn't occur.
However, this problem does not happen with all files that are simultaneously open.

What to do? :(
lindermman
User

Re: 9.1.355 - font change not working

Post by lindermman »

More: program also does not accept changing the position of comments. In the case that happened, an explanatory text box. Keeping the arrowhead in place and just changing the position of the text box, the program returns the box to its original place.
The same is true for other types of comments, such as handwriting with a pen/pencil.
Please fix this! I use the program exactly because it is the best for editing PDF's and has great features for annotations and markup. It would be very sad if the program failed just on that! :cry: :cry: :cry:
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Same with 9.1.356 :( :(
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Could you please send us one of the files with which you have this issue so we can investigate the reason for this?

Please send it to support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

I've already sent it through the program's "report bug" function.
But it's like I've already mentioned here: it doesn't depend on the file and the problem happens with the file being used; if others are open, the problem occurs after some time.
You told me to reinstall the program, but it didn't work. The problem persists.
And they are the same files I was using before the upgrade and this problem didn't occur. I uninstalled it here, installed it on another notebook, tested it there and all problems also occurred. :( :(
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi lindermman,

I would like to get the dev team involved in this, because it is a serious issue that I am keen to resolve, however, before we do so I would ask you to test resetting your settings to defaults.

Under the file menu is an item "Manage Settings". In there you can import/export your settings from/to file and also reset to defaults. Please reset to defaults and test again. It would be prudent to first back up your settings by exporting them to file so that you can restore them if wanted.

I am keen to hear if that helps, if not I will escalate this.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Thanks! I'm really in a hurry about this because I need the program to study. So I'll test your suggestion in this afternoon and as soon as possible I'll get back to you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

The news is sad: the problem persists! The fonts don't change, the position of the text boxes and comments don't change, the size of the comments doesn't change either.
I reset the settings and, even so, the problem persists. It is certainly something that was done in the program, as it is independent of text files.
I just close the file and reopen it, and everything works again. But in this, I lose a lot of work already done.

Please, help!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that lindermman,

do I have the right file? It seems to be working for me. I tested in 9.1.356.0. Click the image to see it animated.
FontModIissue.gif
If this is the right file please update and test.

Looking forward to hearing how that goes.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

I think I found a way to start the problem. If I click on a comment to edit the text contained in it and instead of selecting all the text, just open the edit mode, clicking anywhere in the text, without selecting any text, choose another font template and close the mode of editing.
Then again, I open edit mode by double-clicking on that same comment, but now I select ALL text and choose that same font template I had selected just before and close edit mode. The change will not be made and the other problems also start: no further comment editing is possible. I thought it might be a problem with some of the fonts I downloaded, but the problem was also reproduced with Verdana.
This shows that the problem is not with my settings (I've already reset my settings and the problem persists), it's not with my computer (I uninstalled and installed it on another one and the problem persists), it's not with specific files (I've tested with several and the problem persists).

Please help! I've already lost 2 days with this issue and will probably lose the rest of the week (counting Saturday and Sunday - yes, I don't even have a break)
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:47 pm Thanks for that lindermman,

do I have the right file? It seems to be working for me. I tested in 9.1.356.0. Click the image to see it animated.
What program do you use to record the screen?
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

Good night, lindermman! I see you are a fellow Brazilian law student, just like me! Hope you can get your problem fixed soon! and come back enjoying using this software to study law which for me is awesome. :mrgreen:
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

igorlima wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:26 am Good night, lindermman! I see you are a fellow Brazilian law student, just like me! Hope you can get your problem fixed soon! and come back enjoying using this software to study law which for me is awesome. :mrgreen:
Great to meet more people like me, here.
I really like this software and recommend it a lot to others like us. I study for fiscal contests and this program is wonderful for taking notes and markings. All my material is in PDF format and all I do is using this software with a Wacom. I have been using it for some time and the support team is very good and helpful. No wonder I like and recommend this program so much.
May the force be with you! :D :D :wink: :wink:
Last edited by lindermman on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

lindermman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 pm I think I found a way to start the problem. If I click on a comment to edit the text contained in it and instead of selecting all the text, just open the edit mode, clicking anywhere in the text, without selecting any text, choose another font template and close the mode of editing.
Then again, I open edit mode by double-clicking on that same comment, but now I select ALL text and choose that same font template I had selected just before and close edit mode. The change will not be made and the other problems also start: no further comment editing is possible. I thought it might be a problem with some of the fonts I downloaded, but the problem was also reproduced with Verdana.
This shows that the problem is not with my settings (I've already reset my settings and the problem persists), it's not with my computer (I uninstalled and installed it on another one and the problem persists), it's not with specific files (I've tested with several and the problem persists).

Please help! I've already lost 2 days with this issue and will probably lose the rest of the week (counting Saturday and Sunday - yes, I don't even have a break)
Another thought: I noticed that the problem has occurred when I open the menu to choose and look for switching fonts in comments (especially when I use Callout). Not exactly when opening the menu, but after choosing the font. I didn't install anything new after the upgrade and the issue didn't occur until version .334. And yes, I'm already on the .336.
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

lindermman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 am Another thought: I noticed that the problem has occurred when I open the menu to choose and look for switching fonts in comments (especially when I use Callout). Not exactly when opening the menu, but after choosing the font. I didn't install anything new after the upgrade and the issue didn't occur until version .334. And yes, I'm already on the .336.
Bingo! I reproduced this same procedure on another computer!
Just open the editing of any text, comments or the original text of the file, select the text you want to change and open the font menu. As you scroll through the options to choose the font, it changes. But when you exit edit mode, the font doesn't change and the problem starts.
The problem lies in changing fonts.
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Notice that I start editing text on the first image and select which part of the text I want to change.
On the second and third images, I open the font menu and scroll through it to select the font I want. I choose which font and text is changed. However, when I exit edit mode (fourth image), the font goes back to the original format and the problem starts.
Attachments
04.png
03.png
02.png
01.png
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Please fix this urgently! This is one of the procedures I use most to highlight important points in the text.
No wonder I asked, some time ago, to develop that library of styles that Word has. Would be wonderful! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
05.png
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

lindermman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 am Great to meet more people like me, here.
I really like this software and recommend it a lot to others like us. I study for fiscal contests and this program is wonderful for taking notes and markings. All my material is in PDF format and all I do is using this software with a Wacom. I have been using it for some time and the support team is very good and helpful. No wonder I like and recommend this program so much.
May the force be with you! :D :D :wink: :wink:
I see! I found this program to be wonderful too. Can't believe I used other programs for more than a year until I found this one. All my material is in PDF too and to make notes and markings it's just perfect. Can't believe I used paper before too. :lol:
Every time I have an opportunity I try to recommend this program too. It's a shame that, at least in our country, I have a feeling that this program is not popular enough.

About the Wacom, never heard of that brand before, but searched and saw that is kind of a tablet where you cant digitally write stuff with a "smart pen"? Sound pretty cool!
Sorry if 'I'm being too intrusive :oops:, but, just out of curiosity, how you use your Wacom with PDF-Xchange to study law?

Have a nice day! :)
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

lindermman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 am Notice that I start editing text on the first image and select which part of the text I want to change.
On the second and third images, I open the font menu and scroll through it to select the font I want. I choose which font and text is changed. However, when I exit edit mode (fourth image), the font goes back to the original format and the problem starts.
I ask my friend Igor's forgiveness, but I don't want to deviate from the subject here. I sent the answers by email to you.

From now on, let's get back to the issue of the above mentioned software problem.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again lindermman,

thanks for the kind words and support from both of you. :-)

Thanks also for the extra detail and screen shots. I am still failing to reproduce this. Sorry. Maybe an animated screen save will show me something I am missing in the process required to get the same results as you? I use a small GPL program called liceCAP. You'll have to do a web search for it because the Forum Spam bot won't allow the link. Or write to me at support@pdf-xchange.com

Having said that, your screen shot shows a heavily customized UI. Early on in the thread we asked you to reset your settings to default and test. You reported
The news is sad: the problem persists!
I assume that after the test you restored your settings and that is why the subsequent screen shots show a customized UI. Is that the case? We are very keen to see your settings as they are right now. Can I ask you to export today's settings to file and email them to us please? Attention Paul support@pdf-xchange.com

Meanwhile, perhaps I can catch something from an animation, something I am missing right now?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

I reset the settings to run the tests, but the problem persists. So I did it (yes, I did it!! I didn't restore it!!!) and tried again. Same problem. I reset the settings again. Same problem! Exactly the same way.
As I said, it's the same customization I've been using for a long time. And it would be very strange that the problem is in the customization of the software.
One more reminder that may be linked to this issue: the "replace font" function is not working. I already reported this in another thread yesterday.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

However, when I exit edit mode (fourth image), the font goes back to the original format and the problem starts.
It does not seem that you exit edit mode on this image, you just choose another font.

Also, "Edit Text blocks" is not an appropriate command to start/finish text editing. This command is just toggles text-editing mode -- by blocks or by content items. You have to use "Edit" command instead.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

I made a gif file and sent it by email. But I'll add it here to make it clear where the problem is.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al1YdZxdWgRdgcguDi4ndjDnRdN8GA

Note by the gif file that the problem occurs when I open the editing of any text, comment or the PDF itself.
It's not my UI customization, the PDF files I use, my fonts or anything else. It's in the font history.

By resetting the UI customization, the font history disappears and, with that, the problem disappears. Even with the history present, just don't go through it and the problem doesn't start.
I can scroll through the same sources as long as they're not in the history.

So here's the source of the problem.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that lindermman,

indeed I am also no longer of the mind that this is settings related. On showing your animation to the development team leader he was surprised to see this also. We are keen to understand better what may be happening. We need a "memory dump" of the Editor Process when the issue is apparent, when it behaves strangely at the end of the clip, after it switched back to Arial and you cannot resize the box etc.

While in that state with that PDF open, please do a memory dump as detailed here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... estigation

If the dump file is too large for email (we have a 20MB attachment limit) please use our file upload service as detailed here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... le-service
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Thank you so much, Paul!
I will be waiting for the solution.

I would like to leave here my thanks and congratulations to the entire support team, for doing a spectacular job, as I have never seen in any other software. For the attention given to users and for accepting suggestions for the program.
Thank you so much and congratulations!!!!!
I really admire your work!!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

My pleasyre lindermman,

thanks for the kind words, it is always appreciated.

Regards the dump file, please let us know when you have uploaded that. It would be helpful if you name it something eponymous so we can associate it with this case.

please and thanks
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

I didn't upload any .exe file.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello lindermman,

Could you please clarify what do you mean by that?

Did you see any error messages related to an EXE file or do you mean the EXE file of your product?

Regards.
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:23 am Hello lindermman,

Could you please clarify what do you mean by that?

Did you see any error messages related to an EXE file or do you mean the EXE file of your product?

Regards.
It was about a message from Paul asking if an upload was mine. But don't worry, this is already solved.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello lindermman,

Glad to hear it's been solved!

Kind regards,
Stefan
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:01 pm Hello lindermman,

Glad to hear it's been solved!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Not all is solved, just that "send .exe" thing.
I'm still waiting for an answer about the problem with changing fonts.
Looks like the problem has some connection with the font history. At least that's what I understood with my tests.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello lindermman,

Sorry for misunderstanding your previous post!
I will leave it with Paul to follow up on this case as he is working on it with our dev team. I am sure he will post an update here as soon as he has one!

Kind regards,
Stefan