Text can only be changed when "Edit Text Elements as Blocks" is selected.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kt
User

Text can only be changed when "Edit Text Elements as Blocks" is selected.

Post by kt »

Text can only be changed when "Edit Text Elements as Blocks" is selected. If that limitation is intentional, I would suggest adding that to the manual.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Text can only be changed when "Edit Text Elements as Blocks" is selected.

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi KT,

indeed this is the intended functionality. It should be enabled by default. I would be happy to see this added to the manual. Is there a specific place you expected to see it? I'll ask the technical writer to add something.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
kt
User

Post by kt »

Thank you for your reply!

In the manual, in Appendix > Add/Edit Content, where it reads, "Enable/disable the Edit Text Elements as Blocks option as desired. This feature recognizes blocks of text and enables their group-selection for editing," I would suggest adding a sentence like:

Text can only be edited if this option is checked.

Thank you!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello kt,

Thanks for your suggestion - I will pass it along to our colleague working on keeping the manuals up to date!

Kind regards,
Stefan
RMan
User

Post by RMan »

I sure hope that this "feature" is going to be changed in the next build.

There are many times that a user might want to edit the text as the single lines they may have been created as and not as a block. So the setting of "Edit Text Elements As Blocks" should have absolutely no change in the ability to actually edit the underlying text content.

From a users perspective I can see how frustrating it is to be able to Add new text content in a blank PDF and then not be able to Edit that exact same content just because you might have the "Edit Text Elements As Blocks" is unchecked.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, RMan

This is very unlikely to change in the next build, but it has been a topic of conversation between us and the Dev team for quite some time.

We do understand the difficulties in the current method, but due to changes in the presented data format, allowing editing in this mode could cause complications in the document unless implemented very carefully. As such, if it is approved for implementation, it will still be quite some time before you see this changed.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com