Links and Tabs

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Links and Tabs

Post by PHK »

I note that if I want to create a Link where the target destination page is in a document file different from the starting file and I simply want to "Browse for Link Target" and "Set Link" to the now-visible page of a the different document file (the easiest and most intuitive way of setting links), the destination document file must be in the same Tab group as the starting file. In other words, you cannot have the destination document file open in a Tab group other than that of the starting document if you want to simply use the Browse for Link Target" functionality.

However once the link has been created, the destination document file can be open in a Tab group other than that of the starter for the link to work, effectively linking to the target page in the destination file in the other Tab group. This is OK, but it would be slightly easier if one could use the Browse for Link Target/Set Link functionality when creating the Link with the starter document open in one Tab group and the target document open in another Tab group. Without being able to do that, one must, staying in one Tab group, open the target document and find the target page but without the benefit of having the starter page open. As a practical matter, one has to remember (always a risky proposition) the content on both sides of the link to complete the operation.

Am I missing something or is this a development enhancement that might be considered?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Links and Tabs

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

Thank you for the report, My apologies for not writing sooner, Back when I saw this I informed the Dev team, and from my tests now, it seems to have been resolved. Can I ask you to confirm if the issue is still reproducible on your end after updating to 9.2.358.0? If it is, could you please record a video of this for us to review?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:37 pm Hello, PHK

Thank you for the report, My apologies for not writing sooner, Back when I saw this I informed the Dev team, and from my tests now, it seems to have been resolved. Can I ask you to confirm if the issue is still reproducible on your end after updating to 9.2.358.0? If it is, could you please record a video of this for us to review?

Kind regards,
Thank you, Daniel, for keeping an eye on this for me and, hopefully, others. My initial experiments are mixed. At first, I was able to create links in a document in the left tab to a document page in the right tab, but not the reverse. But on a subsequent trial I was able to do it right to left as well. It might have been operator error. I will try to accumulate some more experience but so far so good.

My thanks to the development group for solving this.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

PHK wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:45 pm
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:37 pm Hello, PHK

Kind regards,
Thank you, Daniel, for keeping an eye on this for me and, hopefully, others. My initial experiments are mixed. At first, I was able to create links in a document in the left tab to a document page in the right tab, but not the reverse. But on a subsequent trial I was able to do it right to left as well. It might have been operator error. I will try to accumulate some more experience but so far so good.

My thanks to the development group for solving this.
On further experimentation, I am getting inconsistent results. Sometimes, I can create the link but most of the time I cannot. I cannot differentiate the successful attempts from the unsuccessful. Frustrated.
All best,

FringePhil
zarkogajic
User

Post by zarkogajic »

PHK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:50 pm ... the destination document file must be in the same Tab group as the starting file. ...
Hi Phk,

Is what you are upto similar to:

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=36569

-žarko
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Identical, Zarko.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp