Find and Replace fonts - Error - Split topic

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Find and Replace fonts - Error - Split topic

Post by Puffolino »

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the precise description, so I could find the "Activations List" button (did search it everywhere else before), interestingly my computer is listed as "activated on 24th June 2021", so yesterday - but I did no action to activate something yesterday, so this must have been done in the background.

Forgot to mention, that I've installed the Editor non portable for a while and enhanced OCR has worked already. Not sure, if updating to the last version destroyed the enhanced OCR or this has been happenend a little bit later.

However, actually I don't have a lot of time for investigations or to do an uninstall and install procedure, so I did a quick workaround for handling the enhanced OCR - I've used the (portable :roll:) version of the PDF Tools on my memory stick! BTW, the quality of the enhanced OCR machine is really good, the only problem I saw are the resulting fonts. This is a little bit annoying, because "Replace Fonts..." just doesn't work and sets fonts randomly.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How to use advanced OCR in a portable installation?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Puffolino,

The Portable Tools should be using the Standard OCR, not the Enhanced one.
As for the fonts - when you do OCR and replace image content with text - the OCR engine tries to match the spacing of the original image, and this could result in inconsistently looking fonts at times, so a manual touch up after OCR might be needed.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Puffolino
User

Re: How to use advanced OCR in a portable installation?

Post by Puffolino »

Hi Stefan,
all I can say is, that the Tools is using the enhanced version (which is definitely fine for me so don't try to fix that) and the "Replace Fonts..." is not doing what I expect in mutliple cases (but character spacing is not an issue here)...

Let's say I want to replace "Arial" by "Segoe UI" so I select the text and try the following things...

1. attempt: changing "Arial" to "Segoe UI" in the field "Font" of the "Page Content Properties" pane. While typing the font name it will be changed to "Segoe UI Black" so I remove the " Black" characters and press 'Enter' - anyhow the font will be changed to "Segoe UI Black"

2. attempt: uing the "Replace Fonts" dialog, adding the line "Arial" <any> <rgb 0,0,0> "Segoe UI" <unchanged> <unchanged> and press 'Ok'. All the text will be replaced then to the font "Times New Roman". BTW in the dialog in the column "Original size" a button '...' is displayed which seems has no effect.

Hm, drifting away from the initial thread content, sorry.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Find and Replace fonts - Error - Split topic

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Puffolino

I have moved this topic to a new thread for us to continue, this is the original topic: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=35941

I believe we discussed this a few months past, but a "portable" version of PDF-Tools is not something that we offer, nor something that we can support. If you are experiencing any issues with the application after manually moving/modifying (otherwise altering the use of) files, or attempting to use them in an environment which we did not intend, there is nothing that we can do to help with issues you may encounter there. If you have the same issue with the official installed version of the software, then we can continue that discussion.

As for Replace fonts, I cannot seem to reproduce this issue on my end, could I ask you to confirm that you are running build 354.0 at the moment.
If you are and the issue persists (within a normal installation of the Editor or PDF-Tools), please send us a copy of the document in question, and perhaps a short video showing the error occurring on your end?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hi,
as mentioned I am using build 354.0 (image 1) and don't have any problems with PDF Tools :roll:.

The first issue is shown in images 2 to 4 when writing "Segoe UI" in the text gadget it will be replaced by something like "Segoe Black" or "Segoe Print" when pressing the 'Enter' key. Workaround: scrolling to the correct font on the drop down list and clicking on it (image 5 and 6).

The second issue can be reproduced on many documents, just for a better understanding I have done two more screenshots (image 7 and 8 ). "Arial" should be transformed to "Segoe UI" but isn't done here. The funny column with the three dots fields is also seen in the dialog.

Update: meanwhile build 356.0 is used, replacing is done also wrong within that release.
Hint: the images below are in the wrong order, image 1 is at the bottom and image 8 at the top.
Attachments
Bug Replace Font_8_0.jpg
Bug Replace Font_7_0.jpg
Bug Replace Font_6_0.jpg
Bug Replace Font_5_0.jpg
Bug Replace Font_4_0.jpg
Bug Replace Font_3_0.jpg
Bug Replace Font_2_0.jpg
Bug Replace Font_1_0.jpg
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Same behaviour with build 357. Replace Fonts does not do any changes, manual selection is doing the same wrong things.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Puffolino

The Font you are work with here is 9 pt:
image.png
image.png (64.27 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Yet the settings you try to define are pointing specifically at Arial ~12 pt:
image1.png
That would be why nothing is happening with these specific settings. Ensuring that I use an appropriate current size, and select the correct current font for this, I cannot reproduce the issue you describe with the "replace fonts" dialog.

As for manually typing the name of the font, what you describe, typing "Segoe" and pressing enter, should by all accounts use the closest match (preferring those in the "recently used" section of the dropdown list, and then alphabetically) to the text you have typed. In your example images, You have typed "Se" and the rest is being autofilled. "Segoe Print" is considerable closer to "Se" than "Segoe UI" is, and so it will always be selected with that short of a segment. If you type "Segoe U" (leaving out the "I") It will find Segoe UI.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Daniel, thanks for your precise analysis, this helped me to solve one and understand the other issue...
...even when the font size wasn't the problem on my real documents (it was just because I made a bad example for the screen shots). In fact the most of my scanned documents don't use black filled characters but colors like RGB $120A0C, something I obviously have ignored all the time. Sorry for that - thanks to your hint I did recheck everything once again and found the problem. So no bug, just a blind user :roll:

You also gave me the right hint for the second problem, which is nasty: when I enter "Segoe UI" and press 'Enter' the font name changes to "Segoe UI Black" because this one is in the list of the five previously used fonts while "Segoe UI" is not there. Interestingly the "Black" variant seems to be always "top rated" until it is kicked out of the last five list. So priorising the recently used fonts is maybe not ideal when using the filter.

Thanks once more!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Puffolino

Glad to hear I could be of some help, Ill talk to the dev team and see what they think about ignoring the "top rated" fonts in the filter, but I cannot promise that it will be accepted.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com