FDF Data import

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Antaras
User

FDF Data import

Post by Antaras »

Hello everybody,

in the company was updated from version 8 to version 9.0 build 354.0 (Pro Version).
Almost everything works.

Problem:

FDF files are used to fill in PDF forms.

Basically, this is initiated by opening the FDF file.

The form data is entered if the security setting of the addressed PDF document "Authoring Comments and Form Fields" is set to "Allow". -> Works fine!

If this setting is set to "Deny", the form fields will not be filled out. No error message appears. When the FDF data is imported using the menu, the fields are filled.

In version 8 this always worked.

I can understand this behavior with several documents. Unfortunately we have such a large number of documents that changing the security setting cannot be implemented without any problems.

What can I do? Do you have an idea?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: FDF Data import

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Antaras,

thanks for the post. I am afraid I need a little clarification. It looks to me that you are wanting to batch process a collection of FDF and their associated PDF files, and that your documents have the permission set to deny filling out form fields.

I am getting confused between the difference in behaviour between version 8 and 9.

You said:
If this setting is set to "Deny", the form fields will not be filled out. No error message appears. When the FDF data is imported using the menu, the fields are filled.
How then were you filling out the forms other than using the menu to apply the FDF file? Is the problem that in V8 you simply double clicked the FDF and the matching PDF would open, fields filled and in V9 the PDF does not open?

I do expect that the permission to not fill form fields should be respected, so if you have a lot of these I files where the permission to fill out form fields is causing problems, you could use PDF-Tools to batch process these files, first changing the permissions to allow form filling, then to import the form data. You could also change the permissions back to deny if wanted, all via PDF-Tools and a tool set you create within it.

If I am misunderstanding your needs please do let me know.

regards

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Antaras
User

Post by Antaras »

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your answer. Sorry, I didn't express myself correctly.

Batch processing is not used.
How then were you filling out the forms other than using the menu to apply the FDF file? Is the problem that in V8 you simply double clicked the FDF and the matching PDF would open, fields filled and in V9 the PDF does not open?
In V8 i clicked on the FDF, the PDF was opened and the data was imported. In V9 the PDF File opens, with or without data depending on the PDF document.

Normal case:
A user records data e.g. name, language, city and save it. An FDF file is created which refers to a PDF document, which depends on the language. Another user clicks on the FDF file to fill the PDF.
This has worked since version 6 to 8. Unfortunately now only partially.

The only difference between the working and not working documents that I could see was the setting "Authoring Comments and Form Fields". Maybe it's another mistake.

Was this setting ignored in the previous versions?
When I open PDF XChange and import the FDF it works. Is the setting then ignored?

Can I send you a sample files? Maybe you can spot the mistake? I would not like to upload this publicly.

Best wishes

Alex
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Alex,

thanks for the files via email. I see the same as you report. The competition is doing the same. The devs are looking into this now and we will follow up via email, and post a final report here for forum users once we know what the deal is.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

We have found and corrected the cause of this. Build 9.1.356.0 should work as expected. Please look for this build via Help --> Check for Updates come this Friday.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke