Best way to create a table like form

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

peter.zeyher@mechatronic.de
User

Post by peter.zeyher@mechatronic.de »

I plan to make a form for a first article inspection. This requires a large table to enter measurements. What is the best way to create a tabel in a form? Creating a table with 100+ single text boxes, manually moved to form a table, is not very appealing.

Thank you

Peter
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Best way to create a table like form

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, peter.zeyher@mechatronic.de

Currently, we do not offer a way to easily generate a form based table, so unfortunately, the only way to do so with our software will be manually, field by field. We are looking at functions to generate form fields dynamically in a document containing tables and the like, but that is still a fair ways away.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

Thanks for the quick answer. Is there a way to create new names for the fields as I copy and paste them? All fields with the same name have the same content it seems. I saw that acrobat has some fancy options for pasting.
Creating the table with the available alignment tools should be possible, also not the most comfortable way.

Cheers Peter
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, peter.zeyher@mechatronic.de

Currently the only rename function we offer is when merging two documents which may have similar field names. We do have an active request to allow the same with both copy/paste, and the "duplicate" tool, but I did find one viable option for you. It is still a bit of a hassle, but does help considerably.

If you enabled the measurement tools "snapping" function, from the preferences menu (Ctrl+K), this also applies to form fields now, which allows you to quickly do this:
wW1qdtg7MT.gif
If you combine that, with the ability to preconfigure your form field (including setting the size), using the "make current properties default" from the Style tools on the format tab, you should be able to create a table-like form, with greater ease than before.

You might also want to see this article for some tips on creating fillable forms: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -PDF-forms

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

I found another function that helps me even more: In the format tab there is a "create multiple copies" button that lets me define rows and columns and spacing. As it also renames the pasted fields it works quite nicely for me.

Cheers
Peter
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)