Extract/Export Text and Images from a PDF document

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

SmackDaddy
User

Extract/Export Text and Images from a PDF document

Post by SmackDaddy »

I have been struggling to figure out whether I need Editor Plus (for enhanced OCR), if I need a third party plug in or if I am just doing something wrong.

I want to export all text in a PDF to a UTF-8 Unicode text file and then also extract all images within the PDF into individual image files (JPG or PNG preferably). I have searched the forums and YouTube videos and didn't find exactly what I am looking for. I am planning to convert PDF documents into Fantasy Grounds modules for authors. (FG is a virtual table-top program for role-playing games).

Thank you in advance for your time!
AndyK
User

Re: Extract/Export Text and Images from a PDF document

Post by AndyK »

Please have a look on this tool

pdfGrabber
https://www.pixelplanet.com/pdfgrabber/
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, AndyK

To quickly extract images, PDF-Tools would be the best option, as you could use our new "extract images" function to convert all the images within the document into separate image files:
image.png
As for the text, if this text is base content, I am afraid we do not yet have a function to export it in bulk or separated by image/page as you seem to need. perhaps the utility AndyK recommended here can accomplish that better in the meantime. I have also discussed this with our dev team, and we will look further into the possibility of offering this in the future.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Maybe it will be useless, but for what it is worth, in PDF-XChange Editor you can still use "Save As" > "Plain Text", to make a text-file of your PDF.

Regards.

Willy.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for your suggestion, and apologies that we didn't follow up on this topic earlier.
I hope that the comments given above have helped SmackDaddy, and we would be happy to hear back from them with further details if they still have any issues or enquiries on the topic!

Kind regards,
Stefan