Seggestions for Improvement to Functions

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ChimaeraJLJ
User

Post by ChimaeraJLJ »

I am using version 9.0 build 354.0.

The suggestions for improvement to the current functions that I want to make are:

1) Whenever a sentence is highlighted with the mouse cursor, the highlight button automatically appears - this function is available in WPS PDF and other PDF readers - it makes the highlighting function more efficient (or quicker).

2) The place being last viewed in a PDF is remembered so that, when the user opens the same PDF next time, the last viewed page of the PDF will appear by default - this function is also available in other PDF readers.

3) Editing functions - I tried to delete a word and add some words in a PDF - but the Edit functions do not allow me to do so - this function is also provided by other PDF readers.

You may perchance ask me: If these functions were provided by other PDF readers, why do not you just use other PDF readers instead of PDF-XChange Editor?

My answer is: I want to improve PDF-XChange Editor, and I also like the other functions that it provides; I want to keep using PDF-XChange Editor.

Sincerely.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Seggestions for Improvement to Functions

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, ChimaeraJLJ

Thank you for the suggestions, though only one of them is a new item in this case, points 2 and 3 already exist in our software.

1. Currently the best way to quickly highlight text on a page is to use the highlighter tool itself, then you do not even need the second click to place the highlight, it is immediately applied to the text you have selected. That said we have been considering the idea of a floating toolbar reminiscent of Ms Word and Adobe for some time. I will thus add this matter to the discussion when next it appears.

2. Remembering the last view should be enabled by default, but if you have somehow accidentally disabled it, please open your preferences (Ctrl_K), and under page display, ensure that you have both of the "restore last used" options enabled:
image.png
3. The Edit tool should also be fully capable of editing base content text that is present on the page. In this case however there are a number of other possibilities.
One is that you have accidentally disabled the "edit text as blocks" feature, if you have done so, open the "Edit" dropdown, and check off the "edit text as blocks" function presented there, then try selecting the text again:
image1.png
image1.png (29.9 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Following that, another possibility is that the text you are trying to edit is actually a comment. It is not possible to select both base content and comments at the same time, and so most applications, including ours, require you to change to another tool for this. Please try using the "select comments" tool, and see if that helps:
image2.png
image2.png (14.21 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Finally, there is the possibility that this content is not actually text at all, but is instead an image or "shapes" instead. In this case, the Edit text tool will not be able to help yet, as you would need to run "OCR" on the page before any text exists to be selected and edited. The OCR tool is located on the Convert tab:
image3.png
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ChimaeraJLJ
User

Re: Seggestions for Improvement to Functions

Post by ChimaeraJLJ »

Hi, Daniel,

Thank you for the reply.

I read your answer carefully, and I agree with you that the second function and the third function already exist.

Sincerely.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)