Problem with spell check in some pdf documents

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JarrahP
User

Post by JarrahP »

Hi,

I've discovered what I think is a bug with the spell check feature in PDF x-change, in pdf's generated in AutoCAD the spell check will fail to "ignore" words spelt incorrectly
image.png
In the above image, the "ignore" button will not work and will not proceed to the next incorrect word, if i "Add" the word to dictionary that will work and the spell check will keep going, but that's a hassle. The text is an embedded font.

I could probably supply a example pdf if that would help, it would really add to my utility of pdf x-change if this could get fixed. Problem does not appear if i generate a pdf in MS Word.

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Problem with spell check in some pdf documents

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, JarrahP

AutoCAD has a few known issues with PDF files they generate, including frequent "multi-layering" of a single content item. I expect that you will find there are multiple instances of that incorrect word, in the same location, and so while it is being properly ignored when you do so, the next result found is, another copy of the word in the same location, instead of the actual same instance of the word. The fact that the file generated by MS Word does not have this issue lends some credence to that idea as well.

If you could send us a copy of the file, we could confirm if my suspicions are correct, or if there is another issue at play here. Perhaps the problem does lie in our spellcheck engine, or has something else to do with our handling of this file in particular. Without looking closely I can really only offer guesswork.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
JarrahP
User

Post by JarrahP »

Hi Daniel

you mean to tell me AutoCAD might be doing something dodgy!? Shockedpickachu.jpg :lol:

Thanks for your offer, see attached pdf that is showing the issue, I suspect you are right though, let me know if anything can be done.
test12.pdf
(31.46 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, JarrahP

Haha, not something dodgy, just a little unorthodox. Thankfully that does not appear to be the case here, and it appears that this is instead an error in how our spellcheck handles the "ignore" function when it is used on all instances of misspelled words. It appears that, if you choose to "replace" the very last word in a spellcheck loop, it will properly end and remember the items you have ignored (for the current session). If you choose to ignore the last item, the Editor seems to think that you wish to loop back to the beginning of the document and restart the spellcheck.
I will have to bring this to our dev team for further testing and and eventual fix.

In the meantime, you can go about your usual spellcheck pattern, and choose to "replace" the last incorrect with additional text. That should prompt the notice that "spell check has finished":
image.png
image.png (9.69 KiB) Viewed 427 times
and allow you you carry on without issue.

[EDIT: After speaking with the Dev team briefly, they have confirmed that this is a known issue, and one which they have already found a resolution for! The fix will be available in the next release of the software (90.0355.0) which we hope to have available in the next few weeks.]

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
JarrahP
User

Post by JarrahP »

Sounds good, thanks very much Daniel!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com