Document Properties Template

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Xaris Eireinei
User

Post by Xaris Eireinei »

I need to apply the same document properties over and over. Unfortunately, these are 1-offs (can't do it in batches). Is there a way to create some sort of predesigned template to apply the following?

File > Document Properties > Description > Additional Metadata (Document Title, Author, Author Title, Description, Copyright Status, Copyright Notice)

File > Document Properties > Initial View (Initial Layout, Open Action, Window Options)

File > Document Properties > Security > Document Security > (Document Passwords, Permissions)

Thanks for any help.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Document Properties Template

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi,

In case you always start with an empty document, you could create a document with all the required settings and use this each time for making new documents.

In case it goes about already existing documents, I only see a possibility to add metadata like Title, Subject, Author and Keywords via JavaScript. Setting the initial view and security via JavaScript seems to not be possible in PDF-XChange Editor (for as far as I know).

Best regards.

Willy
Xaris Eireinei
User

Post by Xaris Eireinei »

Hi Willy, Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the context is always a Save As PDF from Microsoft Word. I don't know Java; is there any way to build the necessary Java Scripts from sort of GUI within PDF-Xchange?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

In case you are interested in completing the description data of your PDF's via JavaScript in PDF-XChange Editor, you can do this in the following way:

1) Create a file with the extension *.js (for example "Metadata for PDF.js"), and with the content here below.
Note: Please modify the words "Author - Title - Subject - Keywords" (those between double quotes) with the data that you need.

function AutoFillMetadata()
{
this.info.author = "Author";
this.info.title = "Title";
this.info.subject = "Subject";
this.info.keywords = "Keywords";
}

app.addToolButton({
cName: "Apply MetaData",
cLabel: "AutoFill Metadata",
cExec: "AutoFillMetadata()",
cTooltext: "Apply Metadata",
cEnable: true,
nPos: 0
});

2) copy this file in the "JavaScripts" sub-folder in the installation folder of PDF-XChange Editor.
Note: Please create the "JavaScripts" subfolder for in case it does not yet exist.

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\JavaScripts

3) start PDF-XChange Editor, and find the "AutoFill Metadata"-button in the "Add-on Tools"-ribbon

Keep us posted if this works for you.

And, like I said, to me it does not seem to be possible to set the initial view, nor the security via javascript.
Maybe @Tracker Software Support, you can confirm ?

Willy.
Xaris Eireinei
User

Post by Xaris Eireinei »

This is exceptional; thank you! Here are my tests and the results:

this.info.title = "document title"; [WORKED]
this.info.author = "author"; [WORKED]
this.info.authortitle = "authortitle"; [FAILED]
this.info.subject = "subject"; [WORKED but not after this]
this.info.description = "description"; [FAILED]
this.info.keywords = "keywords"; [WORKED but not after this]
this.info.copyright = "copyright"; [FAILED]
this.info.copyrightnotice = "copyrightnotice"; [FAILED]

Interestingly enough, the only ones that worked are the ones that are actually prebuilt into MS Word's Document Properties (title, author, subject, and keywords).
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that it will not be possible to get the desired results with PDF-XChange Editor in combination with JavaScript.

So, I would like to suggest you to run some tests with the "PDF-XChange Standard Printer", also from Tracker Software:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-standard

You can download and install this software, and run your required tests. The only thing, while having no license for it, will be that the resulting PDF's will have publicity stamps on every page, but you will have the possibility to check all the functionality into the smallest details.

It consists of a virtual printer driver for the creation of PDF's, but it also has add-ins for the Microsoft Office applications, like Word (among others). The advantage of using the add-in, in Word, instead of the printer driver, is that you can also convert the existing hyperlinks and heading styles.

In the Settings of the add-in you can predefine the description (except Copyright), initial view and security.
If you like you can save multiple "profiles" with different settings.
More info: https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxs9/msoffice-toolbar-add-in_s.html

Maybe you would like to give this a try and see if it is useful for you.

Kind regards.

Willy
Xaris Eireinei
User

Post by Xaris Eireinei »

Thanks so much Willy; really helpful. Unfortunately, the most important of all the items is indeed the copyright. I appreciate your help. 8)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

When searching for more info about the possibility to change the metadata in PDF-files, I found the following info:
- https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-properties-metadata.html
- https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32235

It goes about XMP-files (Extensible Metadata Platform) with the needed metadata and the possibility to export/import this in some way.

A little bit too complicated for me, but I hope Tracker Software Support is following this topic and will come with an answer to question if this feature (import from or export to XMP-files) will become available in PDF-XChange Editor, sooner or later.
It seems like in Ad*be Acr*bat Professional this option should already exist.
Unfortunately, at this moment I have no more access to this application and can not verify whether this is true or not.

Best regards.

Willy
Xaris Eireinei
User

Post by Xaris Eireinei »

Those posts are spot on. I'm going to kill this thread and move my issue over to here:

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32235

Thank you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

The import of an expanded set of matadata could be realized in a way as done in Adоbe Аcrоbаt Pro DC:
_
- Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (64-bit) — Appenf XMP metadata.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

Thank you for the suggestion, we will take a look and see, but I cannot offer any promises on this front at the moment.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com