Keep losing customized settings

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

deege
User

Post by deege »

Every time I reboot my computer, all of my customized Typewriter Tool, Table of Contents, and Header and Footer settings is gone. I'm using Windows 10, Office 365.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Keep losing customized settings

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, deege

Thank you for the report, Your use of Office 365 would not have an impact on our settings, so we can disregard that.
There are two cases which are the most likely cause of what you have reported.

1. It is possible that you are not closing the application properly before a restart. Our settings are saved when the Editor is closed successfully, and so if, for example, you have an unsaved document open, and choose to restart the PC, windows would forcibly close our software without allowing us to save those changes.
To prevent this, ensure that you have closed the application normally, either saving or discarding changes to any open documents, so that we can retain the settings.

2. Another possibility is that you have a system in place which directly affects the windows Registry. Be this something like a remote desktop connection that "reverts" the system to a golden image on login, or simply security software preventing changes to the registry.
In either situation, what you will need to do is ensure that you have a solution to allow us to save these changes to the registry, and retain them. In the case of security software, this would usually be as simple as whitelisting our registry keys:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software

I hope that this helps!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
deege
User

Re: Keep losing customized settings

Post by deege »

Thanks Daniel, I'll look into those points you raised.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)