Blocked file results in cryptic error message, but works after a few tries

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

solutionsource
User

Blocked file results in cryptic error message, but works after a few tries

Post by solutionsource »

Yesterday I installed PDF XChange on a testserver at one of our customers. On this server I'm seeing some very weird behavior;

When I try to open a file that was downloaded from the internet, I get a message saying "The directory name is invalid" and PDF XChange Editor does not open.
2021-05-26 22_56_02-ZS-SRVBEH02 (via RD Gateway) - Royal TS.png
2021-05-26 22_56_02-ZS-SRVBEH02 (via RD Gateway) - Royal TS.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 655 times
If I try multiple times, usually after the 3rd or 4th try the file opens as normal.

I found out that when I unblock the file, the problem is gone.
2021-05-26 22_46_40-ZS-SRVBEH02 (via RD Gateway) - Royal TS.png
So, the issue is caused by the file "coming from another computer and might be blocked". However, Adobe Reader doesn't seem to have any issue with that. Also opening the PDF in Edge seems to work just fine.

I also tested the same scenario on a standalone Windows 10 system, with PDF XChange as the default application set to PDF XChange. I could open files that were "blocked" opened just fine, so it probably is related to that particular server and/or that customers particular set of group policies.

Some more info about the server:
AD joined Windows Server 2019.
Users log on using Remote Desktop (the server is a session host).
We use user profile disks.
The PDF files we tested with were stored in the users' home directory, which is a share on a file server.

What can I do to fix this?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Blocked file results in cryptic error message, but works after a few tries

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi solutionsource,

It looks like we missed your post months ago. I sincerely apologize for that.

Is this still an issue for you?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com