Organizing Summarized Comments and Fast comment templates

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

zulihes
User

Organizing Summarized Comments and Fast comment templates

Post by zulihes »

I've been testing the PDF-XChange Editor for quantity surveying for a while and I've really liked the measuring tools and navigating with scrolling. Now I only need to figure out a faster way to export the measurements. Using the summarize comments tool has been really helpful, I've used Notepad++ to trim "Subject Perimeter" etc. so I can then move just the values to an excel table. On the latest version there's the layer tool for comments. Could it be possible to summarize comments and have them ordered by their layers or maybe exporting directly to an excel table? Now I've been making separate files for walls and baseboards for example, as there is no way to tell the measured perimeters apart from each other in the comment summary. Another example would be doors. We might have let's say 4 types of doors and until now I've just used the measurement tool to tell them apart, wide doors measured at 2m, smaller ones 0.9m and so on. Then I've just counted the amount using a search tool on the summarized comment file. Could it be possible to create customizable comment templates? I'd like to have a layer for the doors and using templates like "Door WD" and "Door GL" to mark them as easily as possible.

In summary, is it possible to:

1. Export comments organized by their layers, so the measurements won't get confused
2. Use a comment macro/template for counting doors for example, with single click or so
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Organizing Summarized Comments and Fast comment templates

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, zulihes

At the moment, there is no method to automate this, though I have made a formal feature request ticket for it:
RT#5608: Summarize comments "layers" options

In the meanwhile, though this is not a perfect solution, it might save you some time. If you open the "layers" pane, you can select a specific layer and right click to "extract" that layer to a new document:
image.png
image.png (21.48 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Once you have done that, you will have a document which only contains items from that layer, I recommend enabling only the "keep empty pages" option, as that will mean that when you "summarize comments" in this new temporary version of the document, it will still show the original page numbers for those comments under a given layer.
You can then quickly and easily merge the differing layers csv export information independently.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com