PDF-XChange Editor does not play video

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Gibtnix
User

Post by Gibtnix »

Hello everyone,

I'm using PDF-XChange Editor for some time now, however recently I received a PDF presentation that contains an embedded video. The video runs fine with various other PDF viewers, however PDF-XChange Editor only shows the first image but I found no way to play the video. I also found no option to enable video playback in the settings menu.

According to the feature description, multimedia content is supported. So is this a bug or am I just missing something too obvious?

Appreciating any comments... thanks in advance!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor does not play video

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Gibtnix,

Can you please share a copy of that file with us?
If the file is confidential, please e-mail it to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum topic and we would be happy to take a look for you!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Gibtnix
User

Post by Gibtnix »

Thanks for your response. I've attached a demo PDF that contains an example video on the PDF-XChange Editor that I grabbed online, I hope it is fine to use here since it is created by Tracker Software (or at least it seems so to me).
I created the PDF with LibreOffice Impress by inserting a video and exported it as PDF. The video runs fine with other PDF viewers and thus is correctly embedded. Still, I cannot play it with PDF-XChange Editor, only the first frame is shown.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Gibtnix on Thu May 20, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Similar topic with some useful information about this problem:

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27137
Gibtnix
User

Post by Gibtnix »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:11 pm Similar topic with some useful information about this problem:

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27137
Thanks for pointing to this topic. Actually, I did not find this by myself as I noticed that the videos do not play. Maybe it is simply not supported. :?:
But hands down, this is somehow limited... Basic support is highly desired, for instance MP4 (H264 + AAC codecs) or maybe MP3 audio as some kind of de-facto standards should be supported. Maybe using DirectShow on Windows? The latter is also the way LibreOffice has taken. Even though it has has several limitations as only relatively less formats are supported by default, it allows to install additional codecs and moves the whole which-formats-are-support question to the operating system. Clearly, supporting all codecs out of the box would be even better but might result in too many dependencies...
Would still appreciate some kind of official statement regarding this issue 8) :mrgreen:
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Gibtnix

the devs took a look at this, it should be playing, so we will fix it. The associated ticket (not for public access) is RT#5601: PDF-XChange Editor does not play video

Refer to that when asking for a status update on the progress of this.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Gibtnix
User

Post by Gibtnix »

Thanks for this information, looking forward for a fixed version. Thanks! 8)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)