Unattended install installed both 32 AND 64 versions

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

FDSIT
User

Post by FDSIT »

I did an unattended install using the .exe with the command below.......That machine now shows with 32 AND 64 bit iterations and my software inventory software counts it as two licences. The unattended install also doens't upgrade previous versions, so I have some machines showing with two versions as well. So, although it's showing as installed on 20 machines, it shows 38 licenecs consumed.

Is there a way to force the installation to upgrade not add a new version? AND, is there a way to force it to install only 32 or 64, not both?

All of our machines are 64bit anyway, do I'm happy just to force 64 bit on it, is that helps.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Unattended install installed both 32 AND 64 versions

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, FDSIT

What you have described here is not possible with any versions beyond V6 of our products (possibly earlier). Our new MSI installers check the system architecture, and cannot run on the incorrect architecture. meanwhile the EXE installers will check which should be used, and only run that installer.

Perhaps you mean that you noticed the "PDFXEdit_Low.exe" is present after installation? That is not a 32-bit application, it is a modified version of the 64-bit executable, which limits the memory locations in use to facilitate communication with external 32-bit devices, such as printers and scanners.

Following that, installation of a new product will always overwrite previous versions, of the same product. This means that if you had version 6 of the "Editor" installed, and just today ran the Version 9 installer for the "Editor", the old version would be removed. This is NOT the case if you run the incorrect installer however, for example, if you run the V9 "PRO" installer instead, this is a separate package, and thus does not directly overwrite the "editor" installation.

As for activation, I cannot say much on the forums, but we do not report "licenses consumed" anywhere in our software. I can say that activation is based on the computer hardware, not any other factors. Even if it were possible to have more than once instance of the installed Editor on a single machine, it would only ever count as one activation, since the device name for activation is fetched from the motherboard directly.
Please, as this issue pertains to your license key (which cannot be shared or discussed on the forums), email us via support@pdf-xchange.com with a copy of your current license key and a link to this post.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
FDSIT
User

Post by FDSIT »

This was installed using the exe yesterday.....It's a new build machine with no previous versions of PDF X-Change on it. This screen is from our software inventory system

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qzyu_ou9YH5dQzvzbpi3SFJay23SjFvm/view?usp=sharing
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, FDSIT

Thank you for the screenshot. The trouble here is we do not know how this other application identifies installed apps and their platform compatibility, it is entirely possible (and quite likely) that what you see is a red herring.

To get to the bottom of this, our dev team would like to know two things.

1. Can you please send us the exact command line parameters you used to install this.
2. Can you please send us screenshots of the contents of these two folders (and confirm if they both exist)
  • "Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor"
  • "Program Files (x86)\Tracker Software\PDF Editor"
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
FDSIT
User

Post by FDSIT »

Hi Daniel....Thanks for the reply.....Details are as follows.

\\DESKTOP-CENTRAL\DCSWRepository\PDF X-Change\PDFXVE9.exe /quiet /norestart DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS="0" KEYFILE="\\desktop-central\DCSWRepository\PDF X-Change\U722503523-1.xcvault"

image.png

Nothing in x86 folder
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that FDSIT,

the fact that there is nothing in "Program Files (x86)\Tracker Software\PDF Editor" is strongly supportive of there not being a 32 bit "version" on that machine. We are not familiar with how that third party application is reporting this, how does it compare to Programs and Features on the device itself?

I would recommend uninstalling all that you have on there and keeping to the 64 bit MSI installers moving forward. As Dan alluded to, the .EXE installer(s) are really the MSI packages in an exe wrapper that will identify the system architecture and install 32 or 64 bit files accordingly. They cannot take the full compliment of parameters and arguments that the MSI installers can and are mostly intended for users for whom determining the system architecture can be a challenge.

Regards the license count, please continue that discussion via email to support@pdf-xchange.com

I am keen to hear both what Programs and Features reports as well as how things go cleaning that machine up and using the MSI.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
FDSIT
User

Post by FDSIT »

Many thanks for the feedback.....I'll take it up with the Management Software provider and come back if anythihg else is required.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com