Edit all occurences of a bitmap in a PDF in one go

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Tracker Forum and Support Team,

if I copy a bitmap in a PDF and paste duplicates of it elsewhere in the file, only the original bitmap graphic will occupy memory, the duplicates will occupy (almost) no additional memory, which is great.

In addition, I can also use the "Recompress Image" feature to recompress the original or any of the duplicates, and this will automatically change all copies accordingly, if the below checkbox is not checked:

However, this doesn't seem to work if one of these (identical) bitmaps is edited using "Edit Image with External Application". In this case, the other copies are not changed accordingly.

Or is there a way to make this happen? If it is not currently possible, I would like to bring it up as a feature request, because it would be very helpful to be able to edit all occurrences of a bitmap in the entire document in one go in cases like this.

Thank you.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Edit all occurences of a bitmap in a PDF in one go

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, David.P

Currently this is not possible, but I have created an official feature request for you on the matter:
RT#5585: FR: Edit all occurrences of an image at once.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Re: Edit all occurences of a bitmap in a PDF in one go

Post by David.P »

Thanks so much to the incredible Tracker team for implementing this feature so fast:
Added an option that enables the editing of all occurrences of an image at the same time.(T# 5585)
(36551)
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor/history

Now it is possible, for example, to edit one occurrence of a PDF bitmap image via external editor, for example in Paint.Net, and have all occurrences of the bitmap in the entire PDF changed accordingly afterwards.

This is very useful if, for example, a certain bitmap is duplicated many times in a PDF, but is too large, or has the wrong color depth.

Thanks again for the fast action!

Kind regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)