Default OCR Editor  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

4mc
User

Default OCR Editor

Post by 4mc »

Apparently among the confusing choices between the paid for versions of PDF-XChange Editor and Editor Pro is the enhanced OCR.

I don't have much of a need for OCR, but would like the option to use it. I purchased a XChange Editor license, but cannot work out how to use just the default OCR to see how it works and if it is sufficient.

Even though I have the following set, which I'm assuming should actually hide all UNLICENSED features..?
hide all.jpg
When I open the Convert and Select OCR I'm not given a choice, it's just enhanced. I wasted an hour of time on this yesterday when a document/pdf ended up with unlicensed stamps on all pages. What am I missing?
OCR Enhanced.jpg
++Mark.
https://ctproduced.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Default OCR Editor  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, 4mc

That option would "hide" features and tools that you are unable to use with your current license from the toolbar, though there are some exceptions, like tools which have multiple uses, as an example, for free users the "edit" tool is available, even with this option enabled, because base content text editing is a free feature, this tool however also offers "shape" and "image" editing, both of these functions of the tool require a license, but they are enabled because one of the functions of this is free.

Likewise, the OCR function is included with an Editor license, but the Enhanced OCR requires a Plus license. In this situation, the EOCR is enabled by default for trialing purposes because, due to our agreement with ABBYY, it is a time limited trial that starts when you install the software, and you only have a few days to test it out before it automatically disables itself.

From the Preferences menu, you would need to enable the default OCR, as the Enhanced OCR is enabled by default on first time installations for a time limited trial. Once this time expires, the EOCR will automatically be disabled and cannot be reenabled until you purchase a license covering its use.
image.png
Once that is set, you can then use the OCR function as normal and will notice that it is locked to "searchable images".
image1.png
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
4mc
User

Re: Default OCR Editor

Post by 4mc »

Thanks got it.

Can I suggest that the check box description for Hide features either needs updating or a help pop-up with a more complete description, I found this pretty frustrating yesterday and really wasted an hour creating a document from .jpg files only to have it stamped all over.

Personally, having bought a license and selected hide features, the enhanced OCR should have been disabled.

Yes, I know, I should have saved and created a new copy, but the whole point of smart software is to save the user time.

++Mark.
https://ctproduced.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Default OCR Editor

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, 4mc

Thank you for the suggestion, currently we do offer a clear notice whenever any premium features are used, along with the banner above the document until it has been saved. I have discussed this with our dev team and they we are working on ways to make this a bit more obvious in the future.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com